Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm trying to identify which cable is which on the dashboard connector of my 03 954RR. I know there's a few diagrams here in the forum, but I'm going crossed-eyed deciphering what is what. For example, I'm looking for the engine RPM connector, control Neutral, Oil Pressure, Fuel Reserve, Beam, Turn warning lights, Speed signal input wire for gear indication and odometer, temp wire, etc. Here's a couple of picks of the connector. I'll appreciate all the info/help I can get. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrPickwick,

Thank you for the doc!! It does help out a lot. Just one question on this cable; Black/Brown -neutral,oil,temp,tacho,speedo,position light,horn,meter,tail light. Does that cable connects to all of those things? Thanks!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. But in relation to what is connected to the cluster? Like, as part of the turn light indicator for the cluster?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
You have to take into account the rest of the wiring harness as a whole , the cluster is just a small part and the wires make up the circuit in the rest of the harness , have a look at the Black/Brown in the wiring Diagram and you can see just how many circuits its involved with

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it! If taking the wiring harness as a whole, and trying to install a aftermarket dashboard, there's a few cables that the factory wire harness does not have a connection to the aftermarket dashboard wire harness. For example, white/green, grey. black/brown, brown/white and red/green. So if they do not have a cable to connect with. should I just let them be? Would that leave a circuit open?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Generally the Black/Brown will give circuit to the bulbs needed in the cluster ,the ones you have mentioned all are necessary (Fan, Clock, Tail light and indicators) but what after market cluster are you going to use, and just to add , the indicator relay is inside the cluster on 954's

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a Davinci S II with its universal wiring harness. So, when you say that all are necessary, you mean that they have to be connected in order to function, right? Unless the aftermarket cluster has the relay, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
That is unless you install your own Signal Relay and the Aftermarket has the positions for all the other lights, I've never seen one of these type of clusters so I'm in the dark really

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The aftermarket does have the positions for the lights, not sure if has the relays. If I needed to install a signal relay, usually they are two-ping, which would be the other cable, if there's only one cable for the turn signal (white/green for example)? Would it be a ground? I guess I'll find out once I install it. I also noticed that there's two cables for the speed sensor; pink/green and green/black. Is that because they are different voltage signal?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what it says on the instruction manual; "DaVinci-II is able to control Neutral, Oil Pressure, Fuel Reserve, Beam, Turn warning lights. The determination of warning lights switching signals can’t be standardized be-cause of the different ways of activation used by the makers for each model, so warning lights functioning is not guaranteed"

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Morning, did have a look for the instruction and Installation manual for your cluster (quite an expensive piece of kit) have downloaded it and will take a look cant say I will be much help installing it but will try and help you. Was this the one?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Yes had a look at it and it looks like it will be ok , even has a MIL fault light, never fitted one of these type of Digital displays but seems straight forward, do you use it for track as well

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that's what I'm using it for, I'm building a track bike. So, going back to the two cables for the speed sensor; pink/green and green/black. Is that because they are different voltage signal? Or why is it that it has 2 cables for the speed sensor?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. So to summarize, it is safe to say that cables not in use can be tucked away. Pink/green connects to cluster. Is it save to say that?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Yes you have to take the ECU as its own entity so the Pink/Green will still go to the ECU as well or you wont have readings at the Cluster, I think when you come to wire the cluster in ,that's when it will become self evident, is there an adapting wiring loom that comes with the After Market Cluster or do you have to do any re-pinning, the only problem I can envisage could be the Indicator Relay as its not clear if there is one in the new cluster, but if the bike is for track only that wont matter and the wires to wont be utilised, along with any other wires, but look out for the BAS as that sits forward of the headlight loom connector and will have to stay connected (or bypassed but not a good idea if you were to have a fall on track as the engine wouldn't shut off)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I'm thinking ahead, like if I ever turn it back to street use. I'll keep you posted on what turns out. Thanks you all your help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts