Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the track or the street?

I did my first track day last tuesday (road america) I was trying not to use it for fear of applying too much.

P.S. RA is awesome, and just a little fast.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not unless I take to the grass which I have been known to do on occasion.

Other than that it's front only for me. Back wheel is almost off the ground in any case. The pros/experts might use a little bit of back brake to 'trim' the bikes in a turn I believe. Settle the bike down , maybe lose a little speed without standing the bike up so much.

Man to answer this is Abtech or DCE Motorsport.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I never use my rear brake. I'm sure most of the real-deal fast guys do but for me it's a risk/reward thing. Also, when I learn how to use the front properly then maybe I'll consider it...

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Nope, I rarely use mine. Never on the track. Rarely on the street. I practice with it so I'll apply it appropriately when needed, for emergency stops, or if I'm in gravel. The brake lever on the rearsets is set very low, so it would be hard for me to really slam it on and lock it up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What HondagalToo said. I have not used my rear brake on the track. On the street I occassionally will use it, but almost exclusively for emergency stops.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Rarely on the street and never during my single track day

Note to self: find a friend with a trailer...

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
If you are really good the back brake is used to slid the back end into the turn. Other than that the back wheel is (if you are a pro) just on the verg of coming off the ground so it wouldn't do much anyway.

HD

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never used the rear brake on the track (too much going on for me to try&#33 but I practice using the rear brake on the street.

It settles the bike down, makes it squat some.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Ditto here. Never on the track and only in very rare situations did I use it on the street. The rear rotor on my bike looks damn near new still. I'm sure that with the right skills, the rear can be applied on the track, and on the street it may help under certain circumstances in an emergency stop.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use it only on the first couple laps on the track to help warm up the rear tire, that's about the only time I ever use it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info, I only used it a couple times on the track. I use it all the time on the street, but I'm thinking of getting away from it.

Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not on the track, maybe on the grass during off-track excursions. On the street only to hold my bike at lights while I rest my arms. If I do use it on the track it is to drift the rear to straighten out my line. I generally use power though to straighten out lines.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes I use it, on occasion when I come into the corners too hot, and I'll brake while leaned over.  It's the only way I know how to brake while leaned and not risk losing the front.  I am much more comfortable with the rear sliding around than I am with the front.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use mine every time I pull into the local bike nite at Sonic. That way I come to sliding in sideways to a stop and look cool in front of everybody.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Twice in utter desperation I used the rear to get the rear end to slide around and 'square off' a corner(like I was on my dirtbike) while I was in trouble.  

I've tried using it to trailbrake and just don't like it.

Nicky Hayden is a huge rear braker.

RA is a blast! It was hard getting used to being on the gas so much. The only track I've ridden and think is close is Laguna.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Never
I think learning to trail-brake the front as deep as possible would surpass any potential gains by using the rear

Having said that, my XX uses the rear brake all by itself--hunk of shite

1 - 20 of 83 Posts