Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this jacket yesterday. I have to say I love this thing. It feels a lot heavier than most mesh jackets I've seen in stores. It has all the armor in the shoulders and elbows. The only thing I don't like is the flimsy back pad, but a CE approved armor back protector is an option you can get. I'm glad I don't have to sweat my ass off on those really hot days anymore. I'll probably get the back protector if not a stand alone back protector some time.

Its weird actually have a jacket that fits properly. My old jacket even though it was a small was still too big and the armor would move around and it would bunch up. But this jacket is a Medium and fits perfectly and the armor sits where it should and is adjustable via the velcro that holds it in so you can get a nice custom fit.

If you're looking for a good mesh jacket then I'd say this is the one.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I find that the A*'s mesh is much better then let's say a Joe Rocket jacket. Seems alot more durable and has a tighter weave to it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In a fall, at high speed it's usless, and not that high of speed...mesh that is

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ReaperAZ said:
I find that the A*'s mesh is much better then let's say a Joe Rocket jacket. Seems alot more durable and has a tighter weave to it.
yeah thats why I never bought a mesh jacket before now. All of the ones I had picked up just seemed flimsy. The fact that its not completely mesh (has textile over the shoulders and down to the elbows and around the arm) might also help its rigidity. But even the mesh seems of better quality than other brands. Others seem as if they've been broken in for a couple of years already.

I'm gonna go out and use my jacket now. :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It is suprising how well these things hold up in the unfortunate event of a spill... My buddy lost his gixxer and slid for a long way on it came away with minimal rash and nothing broken on him(the bike was a different story) The coat was absolutley done after, but for $100 you really can't complain.:idunno:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got the Joe Rocket Reactor (mesh body, goatskin sleeves). I like the fact that I can throw it in the washing machine at the end of "smelly season" here in the desert and it gets most of the stank out. I've also heard stories of the jackets holding out for one crash "only", but if I bump my noggin, my helmet is good for one crash only also, and that's five bills! For $100, the Joe Rocket is cheap insurance. It's obviously not track material, but it beats a wife beater and flip flops!!:D

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good post/review, thank you. I haven't seen any Astars up close but the Joe Rocket mesh is not so good. I have one that I bought a few years ago, though rarely worn I still don't understand why I bought the thing.

If the Astars or something similar can withstand one crash then it's absolutely worth it, I just don't think my Rocket will do even that.

Of course my Joe Rocket is several years old and I'm sure they've come a ways since then.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Personal experience:

Get off on apshalt at about 50 mph, slid about 15-25 feet on asphalt, another 20 ft on dirt, flipped into air after running back into motorcycle with body, landed asphalt again and slid (in mock "burning donuts" or "breakdancing spin" fashion) for about 10 more feet.

Result, full body bruise, minor rash on leg through jeans - 2x3 in. scar, puncture right shin where remainder of footpeg entered and drug me along, ORIGINAL Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket not ripped, torn, and no rash on upper torso.

Mesh is okay in my book.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Scout said:
Personal experience:

Get off on apshalt at about 50 mph, slid about 15-25 feet on asphalt, another 20 ft on dirt, flipped into air after running back into motorcycle with body, landed asphalt again and slid (in mock "burning donuts" or "breakdancing spin" fashion) for about 10 more feet.

Result, full body bruise, minor rash on leg through jeans - 2x3 in. scar, puncture right shin where remainder of footpeg entered and drug me along, ORIGINAL Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket not ripped, torn, and no rash on upper torso.

Mesh is okay in my book.
Holy Crap! :sless: Devine intervention anyone?

HD

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn sounds like a pretty scary accident. All the more reason anything is better than a t-shirt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts