Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tire is wearing unevenly...it's cupping on one side!! Any ideas as to why?! :idunno:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a similar problem. Ended up that the pressure was too low for too long while taking corners too quickly. I'm extra lazy so I didn't check the pressure for about 2 months... oops :crap:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
That is way low! :eek: Should be at least 32 psi I would think, if not a tad more, depending on your weight. I weigh about 135-140 (yeah, it varies), sans gear, and am experimenting with 32/33, 32/34 at present.

edit: if I am way off base with these pressures, someone please chime in! 'Cause I have no idea what I'm doing. Well, maybe a little bit of an idea :idunno:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
36!! guess i'm a little low :crap: and how many miles should i get on these tires? they are the stock pilots on a Y2K 929. Thanks all!! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
TCD said:
stock recommended pressures for the 929 are 36/42 iirc.
Same for the 954. But I think Honda recommends those horrendously high pressures for litigation purposes. Those pressures have to be for 2 up riding. That is rock hard for a single rider of "normal" weight. :idunno: I could be way off base here, but I just think that 36/42 for a single rider is ridiculous.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree. I used to run those pressures on the street when I had the 929. The grip was a bit lacking in the corners to say the least. I now run 33/36 on my SV. It seems to be a good comprimise between grip & wear. Thanks for the clarification! :thumb:

·
Registered
128 Posts
o'town929 said:
ok...just checked the front tire pressure, it's 23 psi. :crap: what should it be?
Yep, looks like the same thing... One of those lesson learned kind of things. Drop 100+ on a new front and I can guarantee you'lll remember to check more often :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
I replace the front while there is still plenty of tread left, because it loses it's shape. The feel and handling can go south long before the tread wears out. Front tires are cheap, and they last a long time. I would put a fresh one on.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
o'town929 said:
yeah, I think i'll try d208's or av 45/46....now wheres a good place to buy?? :idunno:
I like SW Mototires or Ron Ayers for tires... If you aren't in NC, go Ron Ayers, if you are on the left coast, go SW... Try the diablo or sportecs. I have 208s on my 600RR right now and I don't really care for them AT ALL. Not saying they are bad, they just don't work well for me...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well after reading the other post, I think I will stay away from Ron Ayers. My cousin has sportecs on his R1 but I'm thinking Diablos. Thanks to all! :thumb:

·
Registered
463 Posts
o'town929 said:
yeah, I think i'll try d208's or av 45/46....now wheres a good place to buy?? :idunno:
I've just about finished off my first set of Avon 45/46's and was able to get 7,000+ miles out of them. They are my favorite tires to date. I've had the stock BT56's, Dunlop 207s and a set of Avon 36/39's. The 45/46 beat them all for durabilty and grip in my book. I only ride the street, no track time on the tires.

http://streetbikereview.com/sbr_reviews/sbr_reviews_azaro_st.shtml

·
Registered
356 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
I like SW Mototires or Ron Ayers for tires... If you aren't in NC, go Ron Ayers, if you are on the left coast, go SW... Try the diablo or sportecs. I have 208s on my 600RR right now and I don't really care for them AT ALL. Not saying they are bad, they just don't work well for me...
I just put on a new set of 208zr's on my SV and I think that they are great tires. They stuck like glue at my last track day. It was hot and I was pushing them hard.

The 208's are a HUGE improvement over the 207's, which were like riding ice donughts.

BTW, you could try www.discountmotorcycletire.com as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here's the best guideline I've found for setting tire pressure. Start off with an average cold setting. Now go ride the bike like you normally do (track day, local twisties, etc.) When you feel you've warmed the tires as much as they're going to, stop and check the pressure again. The pressure should have increased from 3-5 lbs. If it increased less than three pounds cold to hot, the starting pressure was too high. If it increased more than 5 lbs., it was too low to begin with. Adjust accordingly and re-check. An average size rider will end up around 32 lbs. for track use and about 36 for the street. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts