Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Odd...Reg was trying to get out of the business altogether, but this ad makes it sound like he's not.

Wonder if he'll trade for a 6 x 12? :eyebrows:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
You couldn't give him a Freightliner.
all the freightliners I've driver (never a big one like this though) have sucked. The suspension and chassis in all of them just flat out sucked.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
CBR929RE said:
all the freightliners I've driver (never a big one like this though) have sucked. The suspension and chassis in all of them just flat out sucked.
They may have improved in the recent past, but I drove a 2005 Century Class with all the trimmings in May and it still handled like an office building, sucked fuel (3.5 mpg best case with half load pulling a 48' air ride trailer) and was so noisy I couldn't take more than 2 hours in the cab . . .

S

·
0 Posts
abtech said:
They may have improved in the recent past, but I drove a 2005 Century Class with all the trimmings in May and it still handled like an office building, sucked fuel (3.5 mpg best case with half load pulling a 48' air ride trailer) and was so noisy I couldn't take more than 2 hours in the cab . . .
Sissy! :rotfl:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
SPEED said:
Sissy! :rotfl:
Drove it back to back with a new Pete 386 and to call them both trucks is a real stretch. The Pete handled 10 times better, had a tighter turning radius (same wheelbase), was much smoother, had more power and got over 6 mpg on the same run. The cab noise was order of magnitude lower than the Crateliner as well. Interestingly, the price difference between the 2 tractors was less than 12K . . .

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
sheepofblue said:
There's 385 other Pete's :eek:
I think so. I owned a 362 (Cabover) and a couple of 379 conventionals. Some of the models are special builds for a limited market (mining tractors etc.).

S

·
0 Posts
abtech said:
Drove it back to back with a new Pete 386 and to call them both trucks is a real stretch. The Pete handled 10 times better, had a tighter turning radius (same wheelbase), was much smoother, had more power and got over 6 mpg on the same run. The cab noise was order of magnitude lower than the Crateliner as well. Interestingly, the price difference between the 2 tractors was less than 12K . . .
Everybody knows a Pete is a better made tractor but since I've been a company driver all these years I rarely get a chance to drive them. I've pretty much gotten used to road and engine noises, just turn up the stereo and they almost disapear, lol. The Freightshaker Century class did turn out to have a whole lot of problems from what I've heard but the Clasic XL is a pretty decent tractor http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=984835&guid=76721980DC89484A8BD4931702B00254

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
SPEED said:
Everybody knows a Pete is a better made tractor but since I've been a company driver all these years I rarely get a chance to drive them. I've pretty much gotten used to road and engine noises, just turn up the stereo and they almost disapear, lol. The Freightshaker Century class did turn out to have a whole lot of problems from what I've heard but the Clasic XL is a pretty decent tractor http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=984835&guid=76721980DC89484A8BD4931702B00254
You know it and I know it (and everyone who has driven a Pete or KW knows it), but the word I keep hearing is how Freightliner has turned around and makes "better" tractors than the PACCAR group. I certainly don't log the miles I used to and you sure see lot's of the Freightslimers on the road, but you would have to be on drugs (and good ones at that) to say they are even nearly as good as number 1 and number 2 (Pete & KW).

S

·
0 Posts
abtech said:
You know it and I know it (and everyone who has driven a Pete or KW knows it), but the word I keep hearing is how Freightliner has turned around and makes "better" tractors than the PACCAR group. I certainly don't log the miles I used to and you sure see lot's of the Freightslimers on the road, but you would have to be on drugs (and good ones at that) to say they are even nearly as good as number 1 and number 2 (Pete & KW).
I drove KW's for almost a year and never felt comfortable on long drives, I would get the worst stiff neck every time out.

The company I work for right now uses International & in the last couple years been moving over to Sterling (Ford) with Mercedes motors......they have the worst loud hum above a certain RPM http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/P.asp?Loc=Trucks&Application=FoodDistribution&Line=ALine

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Abtech, who owns Freightliner now? If I'm thinking of the right company they were started in the WWII era in Salt Lake City, but they were purchased and moved away quite some time ago.
Maybe it's a different company. Maybe I should just do a search. :crap:

EDIT: Yep, they're the ones. They were bought by Daimler-Benz in '81. I guess that's why they went in the sh1tter.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I used to drive OTR and drove a couple of different rigs but i've got to say Freightshaker is the closest thing to driving an 80k lb hay wagon i've ever seen. I drove a 660 Volve for about a year and a half and loved it. Long trips were a pleasure and the creature comforts were ok. If you are going from a largecar to a volvo as I did it takes some getting used to but it is worth it IMO. The torning radius is unbelieviable, about the same as a day cab. The ride was nice and very little noise, kins of like driving a passenger car. If I were to go back to OTR it would be in a Volvo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts