Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience adding a turbo to a deisel truck (his is a Ford 7.3)? Any comments on benefit, durability etc.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have done it twice. I think it was well worth the money. Durability really depends on the person behind the throttle, and how much you increase the fuel volume. If you are going to do it yourself, be prepared to spend alot of time. I ended up fabricating some of my own parts, and exhaust. Both of mine are from Gale Banks Engineering. I have a neighbor with an ATS setup, he is satisfied with his as well. A pyrometer is a must, as it allows you to keep track of the exhaust temp. I hope this helps, in you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What vehicle model and transmission? Also does it effect engine/exhaust noise (add whine)

Do you have any recommendations on vendor?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Both of mine are early 90's Ford F350. Both have 5spd trannys. If you get rid of the muffler, you can hear it whistle. I have advanced the timing on mine, so the engine does have a little more rattle. I got my stuff straight from Banks, but I am sure there are places online. As far as having someone install it, Ford deisels are made by International. You should be able to find a diesel shop or big truck shop in your area that can do the job.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I have a comment that wont be usefull but if you want to read it anyways keep reading.....

I met a guy that built a custom twin turbo set up and put it on his dodge diesal 4x4 and used to race it up at the track. oh it had NOS too. That thing did insane smoke shows in 4wd, donuts and all.....and although I never saw it race from what I heard the thing was CRAZY. He worked for a diesal performane company and his truck was considered R&D in case your wondering

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
MrX954 said:
I have a comment that wont be usefull but if you want to read it anyways keep reading.....

I met a guy that built a custom twin turbo set up and put it on his dodge diesal 4x4 and used to race it up at the track. oh it had NOS too. That thing did insane smoke shows in 4wd, donuts and all.....and although I never saw it race from what I heard the thing was CRAZY. He worked for a diesal performane company and his truck was considered R&D in case your wondering
I bet it wasn't NOS, probably propane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts