Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have my 2002 CBR 954 stripped down to the motor and before I begin reassembly, what would be the best to do to the motor since I have access to everything. I was thinking replacing the cam chain tensioner since I hear its a bitch to get to and a valve adjustment since it would also be easy access. Now take in mind that I have never heard this motor run. The guy I got it from said it ran fine and he parked it for the winter and when he went to start it the next summer it would only crank but not fire. He thought it was an electrical issue and ripped out the wiring harness and a few other things, so I basically picked it up real cheap as it was a basket case. It does crank over so I was thinking of also doing a compression check while I'm at it. my goal though is to avoid ripping into to much of the motor.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Tread Tire

· Registered
3,619 Posts
If it were me, like others have said, assuming the compression is there, I would do the cct. Its really just a matter of when, not if. I'd put an oem auto unit on it because it IS hard to reach for checking tension with an ape adjustable cct. I would probably do the valve clearance check as you've said, and spark plugs while I was at it too. The plugs aren't terrible to do in frame, but the valve clearance check is certainly gonna be a lot easier with the block out of the frame.

Reactions: rudyrov

· Registered
1 Posts
If it were me, like others have said, assuming the compression is there, I would do the cct. Its really just a matter of when, not if. I'd put an oem auto unit on it because it IS hard to reach for checking tension with an ape adjustable cct. I would probably do the valve clearance check as you've said, and spark plugs while I was at it too. The plugs aren't terrible to do in frame, but the valve clearance check is certainly gonna be a lot easier with the block out of the frame.
Yes you are right I agree with you!

· Registered
106 Posts
Yes. I bought a manual CCT and never installed it because its just about impossible. Holding off. But when it gets replaced, it will be an oem auto. Cus you will never, ever want to adjust a manual with it where it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts