Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Advice for PCIII - PCV - 08-09 models

6K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  tullyhubbert 
#1 ·
Thinking about fitting a Power Commander to the bike as I’m adding a Yoshi slip-on to my 09 model Blade. I've done a quick forum search but haven't found a full answer to my question.

From the PC site I checked and for an 08 model they recommend a PCIII part number 132-411
Power Commander Downloads and Product Purchases, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories

Then again from the PC site I checked and for an 09 model they recommend a PCV part number 16-002
Power Commander V Support, Find Installation Guides and Maps

Various maps for both models with a range of aftermarket exhausts are available as downloads, however for a PCIII and PCV they are different maps.

Are 08 models and 09 models so different that they require two different power commanders, I thought they were identical bikes?

I’ve fitted a PCIII previously to my RR5, 4 sets of connectors in line with the lower injectors, a connector in line with the throttle position sensor and an earth wire, job done. The fitting instructions (Avail on-line) for the 08 model and PCIII are still exactly the same.

However the fitting instructions for a PCV involve inline connectors for lower injectors 1 & 4 only and an in-line connector for a “sub connector” on the lower throttle bodies (This may be a sub connector for injectors 2 & 3 perhaps?) There is an earth wire to be fitted but no throttle position sensor.

Just to confirm I’m only fitting a slip-on, none of the other features such as quick shifters or auto tune facilities are required (Unless you know different!) That in mind has anyone fitted a PCV to an 09 model, is this definitely the version I need (Part number 16-002) And just to confirm I’m reading the instructions properly it's in-line connectors for lower injectors 1 & 4 only, an in-line connector for lower throttle bodies sub connector and an earth wire. No throttle position sensor or other connectors required?

Thanks ... John

See less See more
#2 ·
John,

I've fitted a PCV and Carbon Yoshi R77 to my 09 blade, no problems.

The PCV (16-002) uses only the secondary injectors on the throttle bodies (those that are bloody hard to reach low down). Nos. 1 and 4 injectors (far left and right hand sides) plus sub-connector - that's it.

I removed the O2 sensor and plugged the eliminator into the harness (left hand side fairing). Also used the O2 plug on the R77 pipe as recommended by DynoJet.

Downloaded PCV European map for 09 Blade for Yoshi R77 slip-on >> not the american version.

Repper

#4 ·
John,

The PCV (16-002) uses only the secondary injectors on the throttle bodies (those that are bloody hard to reach low down). Nos. 1 and 4 injectors (far left and right hand sides) plus sub-connector - that's it.

I removed the O2 sensor and plugged the eliminator into the harness (left hand side fairing). Also used the O2 plug on the R77 pipe as recommended by DynoJet.

Downloaded PCV European map for 09 Blade for Yoshi R77 slip-on >> not the american version.

Repper
Good stuff Repper, that clarifies the installation perfectly for me :thumb:

Regarding the mapping

For 08 model and PCIII
Power Commander Downloads and Product Purchases, Maps, Installation Guides, Accessories
M132-008 - Yoshimura R-77 slip-on, Stock or aftermarket air filter
M132-505 - European model, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust with baffle, Stock or aftermarket air filter, Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted
M132-506 - European model, Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter, Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted

For 09 model and PCV
Power Commander V Support, Find Installation Guides and Maps
M16-002-007 - Yoshimura R-77 slip-on, Stock or aftermarket air filter
M16-002-504 - Yoshimura R-77 slip-on, Stock or aftermarket air filter, O2 Eliminator fitted
M16-002-507 - Yoshimura slip-on exhaust with baffle, Stock or aftermarket air filter, Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted
M16-002-508 - Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter, Dynojet O2 eliminator fitted

The 09 maps aren't identified as to which are European, can you confirm which map you used and why you fitted an O2 eliminator? There seems to be a better selection of maps available when the O2 eliminator is fitted, for example with/without baffle. Do you use the baffle and if it's fitted can you feel any difference in performance, do you change the map when the baffle is in/out?

Provisional plans were to fit a PCV and M16-002-007 map, that's an R-77 slip-on with the oxygen sensor maintained. Will be interesting to hear why you done away with the O2 sensor.

One last question, does the PCV come complete with an O2 eliminator?

Thanks ... John

#5 · (Edited)
Hi G4GO,

For me it's been a worth while mod. Firstly I was finding myself (despite riding a bright coloured bike - repsol) the most invisible bike to traffic I've ever ridden, the standard can was just too quiet. Second the can was going white and had been replaced once under warrenty but the second one was doing the same, it looked really tatty. Third the low end torque felt a bit mild even compared to my Daytona675.

Now there's a nice growl which you can turn down with the dB killer if you want, there's more low end torque for sure and I'm really pleased with the look.

Fitting the Power Commander was ok but you need small hands to get into the none existant gaps the fireblade seems to have between engine and frame, the pipe and especially getting a good fit on the heat shield was more tricky, but I enjoyed the challenge!

Repper

#6 ·
John,

This is what I like about this forum, just think you've got it all figured out, and er no something new comes up!

The guys at both JHS Racing and Moore Speed racing said that the European maps for PCV fireblade 09 are those where the last three digits end 5xx.

I've got 504 loaded.

But... I see that two new maps have been added in the last week or so! It's that recent because I was looking at the PC site just before christmas to check my unit was running the latest firmware release and 507 and 508 were not on the site then.

So I have no idea why they have introduced 507 and 508. Forget 007, that's the US map.

I suggest getting onto Dynojet for clarification, I would be interested in hear what they say about 507 & 508, as Yoshi only do the r77 pipe for fireblade 08/09 models - so are these mappings revised versions?

On the O2 eliminator side. The Power commander instructions that came with the unit say you must install the eliminator i.e. disable the O2 sensor to the ECU. It says this is so the PCV gets full control of fueling.

I found this initially confusing when the can comes with a O2 hole to take the stock sensor and is supplied with a plug should you wish not to re-install it. I guess the sensor hole in the pipe is if you're using an autotune system, or a different make of fuel management system.

My understanding of the reason to disable the O2 sensor, is that under OEM conditions it provides input to the ECU which causes the fueling to be altered 'on-the-fly', it looks like the ECU runs things very lean at low-lowmid rpm and the sensor keeps an eye on things - also to keep our green friends happy.

Looking at the 504 map on the software it runs the bike much richer than with the stock can (up to 20%) at certain rpm-throttle opening combinations, but I've only noticed a very slight reduction in fuel economy.

The eliminator is ordered separately to the PCV, costs about £14.

I've only run the can without the dB killer inserted, now I'm wondering if I need duel fuel maps loaded - anyone else help?

Repper

#11 ·
The guys at both JHS Racing and Moore Speed racing said that the European maps for PCV fireblade 09 are those where the last three digits end 5xx.

I've got 504 loaded.

I suggest getting onto Dynojet for clarification, I would be interested in hear what they say about 507 & 508, as Yoshi only do the r77 pipe for fireblade 08/09 models - so are these mappings revised versions?

The eliminator is ordered separately to the PCV, costs about £14.

I've only run the can without the dB killer inserted, now I'm wondering if I need duel fuel maps loaded - anyone else help?
Just to add a little more confusion.

I've now got a PVC and eliminator on order and they should arrive early next week. I downloaded the PCV software and maps to have a tinker while I'm waiting. As you'll be aware the maps are all downloaded in one file and then you install the one you want. Despite there being a description for map 507 & 508 they aren't included in the download (In fact all maps from 505 - 513) and there isn't a way to download them individually. Hopefully they are to follow soon as I like the idea of seperate maps for when ever the dB killer is in/out. With a PCV it seems it would be possible to have both maps loaded and use a switch to determine which one to use, ie: baffle in/out, how cool would that be? :thumb: :smilebig:

I fitted the R-77 today, it's a bollox of a job to do as its hard to get everything to sit just right. The silencer is closer to the swing arm than I would like but it should be fine, going to put a bit of clear protective film between the arm and silencer for a while just to be sure.

Still don't know how it sounds, I've removed the lamba sensor (Will be fitting an eliminator when it arrives) and I don't want to power the bike up in case it generates an engine management fault. I'm worried that if it does then it might be a dealer reset job and I'd rather wait a few more days than take a chance on it.

Anyway, an updated pic. Only one last thing to do then I'm done, I'd really like one of those nice Harris huggers that Splatty has (Found a stone chip on my underseat HRC sticker :crying:) Funds have taken a hammering lately, but I might save up and buy one before the good weather arrives.

#10 ·

Still looks bog standard as I haven't changed a thing ... yet :)

Pics when new in August and at the ManxGP early Sept, I love the IOM, no better place for a biker to be :thumb:

Hopefully fitting the Yoshi and PC next week, trying to get a local supplier (NI) for the PC, if not then it'll be new from ebay which may take a bit of time.

#12 ·
Looks good.

I've checked the download file on the power commander site and found just the same - not all the latest files are in the zip file.

I've had no problems with 504 without the dB killer - she runs very nicely.

I'd be careful putting any film where the hot exhaust may come into contact.

If the pipe is clear of the lower part of the suspension unit on a rear paddock stand it will be fine for road use. Never had any problems and the two are pretty close.

She'll growl when she's started! but I'd wait for the elimininator first!

repper

#16 · (Edited)
I've checked the download file on the power commander site and found just the same - not all the latest files are in the zip file.

I've had no problems with 504 without the dB killer - she runs very nicely.
Bit of an update repper.

I emailed dynojet uk regarding the missing maps (507-508) which may be suitable for us. This was their response.

Dynojet uk said:
"Sorry for any confusion, I'll check the link and report back to the webmaster in the USA.

In the mean time please find all maps attached to this email, you are correct the 5** are European spec maps and the 504 will be the most suitable map, if you run the exhaust with the baffle fitted at any time the 507 will work well also."

They have emailed me 507 and 508 (Not sure what's the difference between 504 and 508) so if you want a copy of them PM me your email address and I'll send them.

Regards ... John

#13 ·
Looks great tully.

A stone chip on the white underbelly of my bike prompted me to get a hugger.

I hate stone chips :mad:

Talking of money. Popped in to a local Yam dealer up the road from my Honda dealer yesterday for a nose. Did you know that Yam have upped their prices by £1500 for 2010 ??

An R6 is now £9k, and a 2010 R1 will set you back £12,495 !!!!! :eek:

#14 ·
Talking of money. Popped in to a local Yam dealer up the road from my Honda dealer yesterday for a nose. Did you know that Yam have upped their prices by £1500 for 2010 ??

An R6 is now £9k, and a 2010 R1 will set you back £12,495 !!!!! :eek:
I'd read in MCN that an R6 would cost around £9K (In know its 4 years ago but I paid £8.6K for an RR5!)

I won't dis an R1 as I'd have had an 07/08 model in an instant (If I'd been able to sell my RR5 privately rather than trade it in) but the 09 model just doesn't do it for me. I've no doubt it's a great bike and fun to ride, but IMO it's big, ugly, got brutal exhausts, sounds terrible and now costs £12.5K? At that price they might find stiff competition coming from BMW and Ducati.

The BMW situation will be interesting, I've always said the day I consider buying a BMW will be the day I pack it in :rotfl:

#15 ·
Can you imagine paying £12.5k for a Jap bike, then having to pay circa £1k for exhausts as the stock ones are so awful !!??

I hope Honda doesn't go the same way with cost for the 2012 blade, as that is when I will probably swap mine. The 2010 bike didn't warrant an upgrade.

#20 ·
504,507 and 508 are all different ... Dynojet have some explaining to do!
I can understand 507 & 508 being different as they are for the same bike/exhaust combination but with or without baffle. What I can't understand is the difference between 504 & 508 as they sound like they should be the same map :idunno: Emailed you some thoughts to mull over :rotfl:

#23 ·
Dynojet UK say either 504 or 508 are ok to use without baffle, but use 507 with it inserted.

I'm going to try both once the weather improves and see if one is clearly better.

Thanks repper

I find that very strange myself, I mean surely there should only be one? Anyway when I get some time I'll have to compare them to see what the differences are.

Here's to some dry weather so we can get out again, was early December last time I had the bike out :thumbd:

#24 ·
Finally got a run out today to test the Yoshi R-77

Fuelling with 504 map installed felt great tbh, the only niggle is it hunts slightly at idle. The Dynojet guy here thinks it may well do that with the effectively straight through exhaust now fitted. He does a fuel mapping test run for £40 so I intend getting that done, if it needs a custom map he'll do the job for £140.

You get out yet repper?

--
John

PS: Bikes rock, 63 days since my last run out, only had time for a 12 mile test ride but I love my Blade :rotfl::clap:

#25 ·
John,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, been away with work. I've been out on the bike running 504 and though it runs fine, I'm not sure it's so quick on the throttle from low rpm. Fine once she's 6000 upwards. Does hunt slightly on idle.

Would be interested to know when you get it mapped how much modification they had to make to the dynojet standard map.

Chris

#26 · (Edited)
Still only had one short test run on the bike, I still intend getting it to the dyno and it'll probably be before the end of the month. I'll let you know how I get on.

Been doing quite a bit of biking the last few weeks, bought myself a winter hack. Its a 97 Bandit 600 and I ain't had so much fun in years. It's has been pre-modified to a tatty state, therefore I don't mind when it gets wet, salty etc :rotfl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.