Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm getting sick of the old 929er, i want a new bike but since i'm a college student you know how things go............sooooo, i want to gear the bike, what is a good gearing ratio? like 4 up in back and 2 down in front too much? what should i do? and most important, is there anything i can do to re-calibrate my speedometer so it reads the correct speed? thanks guys :idunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
batman said:
Hello, i'm getting sick of the old 929er, i want a new bike but since i'm a college student you know how things go............sooooo, i want to gear the bike, what is a good gearing ratio? like 4 up in back and 2 down in front too much? what should i do? and most important, is there anything i can do to re-calibrate my speedometer so it reads the correct speed? thanks guys :idunno:

:popcorn: :pointup: :thumb: :clap: :evilaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
That would be an enormous gearing change, and a ratio like you mention would normally used by a stunta. A type of rider that will get mercilessly flamed here as you may have noticed. Possibly explaining H-D's reply...

Drop one in front, add 1 or 2 in the rear and you will see a huge change. Just drop the one in front for like $20...that will make a noticable difference for very little scratch.

Ahlman, I think it is, makes a recalibrator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luvtolean said:
That would be an enormous gearing change, and a ratio like you mention would normally used by a stunta. A type of rider that will get mercilessly flamed here as you may have noticed. Possibly explaining H-D's reply...

Drop one in front, add 1 or 2 in the rear and you will see a huge change. Just drop the one in front for like $20...that will make a noticable difference for very little scratch.

Ahlman, I think it is, makes a recalibrator.

thank you for your help............i looked at H-D's website and he dropped 3 in the back.............thanks again.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if anyone knows any more on that recalibrator let me know cause i did a search on "Ahlman" and got nothing.....but thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
I like the Speedohealer, better than the Ahlmans. It is a little cheaper and has the Honda OEM connectors. :thumb:

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
batman said:
thank you for your help............i looked at H-D's website and he dropped 3 in the back.............thanks again.........
Don't take it too personally dood. You may notice that we all rip on each other in friendly jest around here.

And just so you know, the previous owner of my bike went UP three in the back. I will be going back to stock gearing before spring b/c I don't want the extra torque while riding on the track b/c I am new to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
While we are talking about gearing, is the front sprocket bolt a regular or reverse pattern?

Thanks,

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
998 Posts
Just remember that 1 tooth on the front makes about same amount of difference as 3 teeth on the back so unless you want it sound like a CBR250rr I wouldnt drop any more than one tooth on the front and probalbly wouldnt want to go any more than 2 up on the rear! although I guess it depends on what u want to use it for? but I cant see any reason why u would need to gear it so low?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heavy-Dee said:
Don't take it too personally dood. You may notice that we all rip on each other in friendly jest around here.

And just so you know, the previous owner of my bike went UP three in the back. I will be going back to stock gearing before spring b/c I don't want the extra torque while riding on the track b/c I am new to it.

it's cool. What are you doing with the sprocket you got now? i'll buy it from you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
batman said:
it's cool. What are you doing with the sprocket you got now? i'll buy it from you.
You would have to buy the chain, and countershaft sprocket as well. From what I understand it's not a good idea to be swapping chains and sprockets around willy nilly like. Over time they sort of mold to each other.

(someone will correct/elaborate on what I said soon, so keep an eye out)


HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
To clarify, 1 down up front is the same as 2.7 up in the rear. I also run 15/44 on my 929. Pretty nice all around gearing. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
BigDawg said:
To clarify, 1 down up front is the same as 2.7 up in the rear.
Still an approximation, every combination will have a different gear ratio, the number after the equal sign is how many teeth it would take on the rear to make up for one in front:

Driven sprocket/countershaft sprocket

43/17 = 2.5294
43/16 = 2.6875
43/15 = 2.8667
43/14 = 3.0714

This is why saying 1 in front equals 3 in the rear is a popular approximation.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top