Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Blades, so I've got an 01' cbr929rr and the sprockets are getting pretty worn out. As it's time to replace them due to wear, I'm looking at some 520 chain conversion kits. Is anyone running them?
If I have to replace everything any ways, is it worth swapping?
Wear life etc.
In terms of brands, there's a sweet Renthal 15/44 I've got my eye on, just have to decide on the pitch.
Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated! :smilebig:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im running a 520 conversion with -1/+1 sprockets and it is probably my favorite mod so far. A noticeable difference for sure. I almost went 15/45 but I am glad I didn't. The bike is a little noisier and for that reason I think the 15/45 would have been too much. It is already quick as hell, so reving higher with even more drivetrain noise did not seem worth it to me for street riding.

Highly recommend the conversion though, especially if you are replacing everything anyway. A quality 520 chain can easily support our bikes. I also run an aluminum rear sprocket. I feel the reduced weight is worth the decrease in sprocket life. You still get a good amount of miles with a hardened alumn sprocket from what I researched and I do the work myself so changing out sprockets every 15-20k miles compared to 30k isnt that big of a deal to me. My aluminum from last season looks untouched.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I, too, have a 520 conversion on my '02 954. Although I don't ride too aggressively anymore, I'm 250# (UNclothed) and that can work a chain. I have the SuperSprox rear sprocket, and a DID chain and I've been VERY pleased with my setup (which is currently 16/45 and 7.5" over).

I'd highly recommend the SuperSprox sprocket... even though I believe there's no real world gain with a 520 kit (even though I have one)

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I'll chime in with more support for (DID) 520 and afam alum rear sprocket. -1+2.
Been running it for 4+ years now on my RC51. I got about 20,000 out of my first sprocket.
I replaced it about 1 year ago with an identical set: DID-ERV3 520, AFAM aluminum rear sprocket, and Driven front steel sprocket. Got it from Kyle Racing for about $225.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah I've got an RK chain on which I love, and oem sprocket atm and the gearing makes cruising at 50 kph in 2nd gear really tough for some reason. Granted I havn't dont the flapper/HTEV mod yet, but I feel like better gearing can fix that. Does anyone notice after changing to -/+ the bike becomes more/less streetable? Sorry for all the n00b questions, never modified the final drive of a bike yet.

Looks like I might go for 520 chain just for the placebo effect, besides, feeling fast goes fast right?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
rk ek or did you really cant go wrong. same with any of the sprockets on sc's site. i just run the oem pitch on steel jt sprockets personally. im not a track bike guy so until recently i havent really considered the 520 because the difference in acceleration is negligible. im not saying it doesnt just that im not trying to break my personal best track lap record by a couple of tenths so i opted for better wear and strength numbers over faster acceleration. seems practical to me. however the newest 520 chains are a lot stronger these days and most are rated at 1000cc. obviously they are going to wear out faster because its less material doing the same work as a 530. how much im not sure. i think i might give the 520 a try next time around.

how streetable a bike is is kind of a subjective thing because what streetable for you might not be for me. i ride about 90% canyon roads . i dont live in the city but i do ride there on occasion. so whats good for me might not be for you. having said that i run a -1 up front in combination with a 55 rear tire. i was running a +1 front sprocket on a 50 series rear tire. what i found was the bike runs thru the gears faster and certainly gets up to its top speed faster. it puts the bike closer to mid range rpm's in all gears just cruising around. i dont spend really any time with the bike under 5,000rpm unless its taking off from a red light. these bikes arent really meant to be used at low rpm's. they dont really start to breath until over 4,000. so if youre riding around under those rpm's or there abouts its going to be a little less smooth and a bit snatchy. its just the nature of the beast tho. its always going to be a bit on/off feeling in second gear unless your accelerating thru it. so something like a -1 is going to raise your rpm's relative to speed in every gear so it might make it a bit easier yo get into 3rd gear which you might find a bit easier to just slow cruise in with a bit less of the ratchety/snatchy feel on the throttle. but like i said thats all subjective.

id suggest starting with a -1 n seeing how it feels. if you dont like it its as simple as buying another oem front sprocket for 25$. if the -1 doesnt cut it you can probably get away with going -1+1 with the same chain. im pretty happy with just the -1 up front. i do a good mix of tight turns where more mid range response from the -1 helps but i also do a good amount of mid to high triple digit riding so i like that my 954 will still hit an indicated 178mph which is probably more like 162mph real world speed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank's Kevin! that really explains alot. I mostly use my bike for commuting to work within the city where I rarely top 70kph, but I'm a diehard weekend warrior to go out and hit the mountains. I live on an island off west coast BC Canada so we get some pretty great rain forest mountain twisties and a 4 season riding year. I like your idea of trying one sprocket adjustment first, as this would really teach me more about gearing than reading a thousand posts lol.

I'm still super sold on the Renthal sprockets, I think the anodized bronze color looks sweeeet RENTHAL (#411-520) 520 Conversion Hard Anodized Aluminum Rear Sprocket - HONDA - 520 Conversion Sprockets - CBR 929/954 2000-2003 - Honda - STREET Products

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,086 Posts
I'll chime in with more support for (DID) 520 and afam alum rear sprocket. -1+2.
Been running it for 4+ years now on my RC51. I got about 20,000 out of my first sprocket.
I replaced it about 1 year ago with an identical set: DID-ERV3 520, AFAM aluminum rear sprocket, and Driven front steel sprocket. Got it from Kyle Racing for about $225.
I will second this post, as I normally do Jon:rotfl::plus1:

DID and AFAM are a great combo. Although I currently have a 530 on now I will more than likely go to the 520 when this chain goes. But by the wear showing on it in the last 15 years (negligible) I could be waiting forever. ;)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
renthal makes good stuff. i use renthal grips exclusively, and i have some of there other stuff on dirt bikes. if thats the one you want get it. its aluminum so itll wear out about twice as fast as steel as a minimum so keep that in mind. : ) if that bums you out maybe just buy a steel and a can of bronze rattle can paint n make it your own. : ) keep in mind too that that is a stock photo. our bikes have a pretty big sprocket carrier so it doesnt leave a lot of space from that to the teeth so its not going to look like it does in the pic unless you went huge on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
if your running oem sprockets at the minute, you might find that when you change the front sprocket for an after market one it wont be as quiet as the oem because there wont be the rubber damper around the edge of the sprocket.. just a thought ..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I ended up ordering front/back sprockets Vortex/JT respectively as they were the only ones that matched the 520 chain pitch & -1/+2 gearing I wanted in stock. I picked up an RK GXW chain in 120 teeth just to be safe. Remember it's NEVER a good idea to double up on master links.

Installation was pretty straightforward, I definitely noticed a difference in the gearing, but it wasn't quite as drastic as I had hoped. It made traffic a bit more bearable, but it still wants to rev below 4K at 50KPH, which I'm not the biggest fan of.

However on the positive I absolutely smoked a 2014 ZX10R racing light to light. The already strong bottom end of the motor is amplified, and the 5K roll on really makes you white knuckle as the front end feels lifted.

Acceleration and deceleration both feel much more savage and with the low weight of the bike it feels more like a rocket-ship than ever before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts