Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I've got about 3,700 miles on my OEM Pilot Sport tires and the rear is shot. I have perhaps another few hundred left, but it's gonna be completely gone around 4K I'd say.

My front looks surprisingly fresh. Worn yes, but not ready for the farm. That said, I'm not exactly sure what sort of mileage I've got left in it.

Should I buy a rear Pilot Road and try to get another couple thousand out of my front before replacing it, or should I spend the extra ~$80 or so and replace both front and rear? If I go that route, I'm inclined to try the AVON Azaro ST AV45/46 combo.

Seems like the more prudent thing is the Pilot Road route. I'm no longer interesting in supersport rubber, but wanted to run this past the board. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You ought to get enough wear out of the front to match the life of the new rear, so I think just swapping out the rear is the right choice right now.

Funny you should mention the 45/46. It's on the very short list for my next set, which will be soon because both my front and rear are practically done (a set that I got almost precisely two rears to one front on).

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think you should be the first one on the block to try out those multi-colored 'aircraft-quality' tires, since you're now committed to non-monochromatism. Like an orange in the front and a pink in the back maybe?

I've heard they last virtually forever since no one has the balls to actually use them during the day.

Gonna put on my kevlar vest now..

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
2OHOH2954 : You ought to get enough wear out of the front to match the life of the new rear, so I think just swapping out the rear is the right choice right now.
thats what I'd do...

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 12 2003, 8:16am)You ought to get enough wear out of the front to match the life of the new rear, so I think just swapping out the rear is the right choice right now.
thats what I'd do...
It's been true for both of my previous bikes, granted it was Dunlop rubber

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday, got 2 pilot sport rears out of 1 front. The front still has tread, but it's close so I got rid of it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm with the majority. Two rears per one front has always been about right me also. Besides if the front goes before your next rear just try your hand at burn outs, in a none populated area mind you. You wouldn't want to be taken for the typical that way. But take some picks to show us.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Upon inspecting my front tire more closely today, I see a little cupping that I'm unhappy with. I don't think I have another 4,000 left in the front anyway, so instead of going with a new rear Sport or Road, I followed Skully and just ordered a set of those Avons from SWMotoTires.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Let us know how the 45/46 set works out.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swmototires.com

After ordering online late Tuesday afternoon, the new rubber arrived at my home on Thursday morning! Absolutely unreal!

Despite having the best price on the internet on these newest Avon tires (which are getting rave reviews), they ship lickity-split via Airborne Express, and they do it for the grand total of no charge to the customer.

Avon Azaro ST AV45 120/70ZR-17 Front $99.95        

Avon Azaro ST AV46 190/50R-17 Rear: $136.95

Shipping: $0.00

Tax: $0.00

Total: $236.90

I will likely wring another ~300 or so miles out of my Pilot Sports, perhaps just a little ways farther, but that's going to be about as long as I can push them; the rear is pert near shot. Thus, I'm really looking forward to getting the deeply grooved Avons on the bike, the perfect set of new shoes for ushering in a great last two or three months to this riding season, autumn. Best time of the year to ride IMO.

Two thumbs up to swmototires.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've ordered a set myself, and should be getting them next week sometime. Maybe I'll knock out rim paint and sprockets/chain when I change the tires.

A bit OT - today I took a corner faster on the bike than I ever had in the Rex

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've had the AV 45/46 on for a little over 1k now and love them.  I don't think I'll get as many miles as I thought but it's too early to tell.

I was running the BT 010/020 combo prior to the switch to the Avons.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skully : I've had the AV 45/46 on for a little over 1k now and love them.  I don't think I'll get as many miles as I thought but it's too early to tell.
I'd hope to get about 1.5x the mileage I got got out of my Pilots (4,000). These AVONS are quite popular with guys on zzr1200.net. That's a heavy, powerful motorcycle and owners are reporting mileage returns from 6K on up. There's even a guy who says he goes easy on acceleration and has over 10K on his AVONS.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2OHOH2954 : Maybe I'll knock out rim paint and sprockets/chain when I change the tires.
What color?

I've seen a silver/black '54 with silver wheels. Looked pretty nice I guess, but I do like black hoops...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Chain : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 16 2003, 2:35pm)Maybe I'll knock out rim paint and sprockets/chain when I change the tires.
What color?

I've seen a silver/black '54 with silver wheels. Looked pretty nice I guess, but I do like black hoops...
Not sure yet, but the painter can mix any imaginable color, so I've got a tough choice to make if I do decide to get them painted.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2OHOH2954 : Quote (Chain @ Aug. 16 2003, 6:54pm)Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 16 2003, 2:35pm)Maybe I'll knock out rim paint and sprockets/chain when I change the tires.
What color?

Not sure yet, but the painter can mix any imaginable color, so I've got a tough choice to make if I do decide to get them painted.
Um, considering your bike's paint, there's only so many ways you can go on this Mikey. Silver, perhaps red... white if you really wanted to let your hair down and tie in with the factory number plates or somesuch.

Personally I think the 2002 silver/black has always suffered from a rather disjointed paint & decal scheme with too much color to begin with (black, silver, white, red, those blue top of the fork thingies, lol), but you know me, all boring and monochrome.

What have you got swimming around in that gray matter of yours?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts