Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this 05 cbr1000rr and recently my left front fork is leaking fork oil like crazy now I used to have a CBR 929 is it possible to use those forks and triple tree upper and lower clamp and triple tree bearings on my cbr1000rr I don't have the brake calipers nor the brake discs I know I will need to probably purchase those to work with the 929 forks but is everything else compatible. If anybody can help me out!! would greatly appreciat is it ! Or would it just be better just to replace the fork seal on my. Taking a note my 1,000 is lowered didn't know if that would cause any difference to??

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
just get the seals replaced - you'll simply be wasting time and money trying to fit the 929 stuff, which probably wont fit anyway! The later models have bigger forks, etc and improved suspension from the early 2000's tech that was on teh 929

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just get the seals replaced - you'll simply be wasting time and money trying to fit the 929 stuff, which probably wont fit anyway! The later models have bigger forks, etc and improved suspension from the early 2000's tech that was on teh 929
I got you get seals replaced no problem got good one more question extra couple questions if you don't mind answering the person who had the CBR 1000 before me has it lowered it's got a PSR lower linkage in dog bone kit with the Penske triple adjustment shock absorber and when I got got it it was squeaking and I noticed that it was just too damn stiff like it was hard as a rock so I looked at the preloads and the adjusters on the forks and also on the mono shock in the back and also look down at the bottom of the forks at the compression is there a standard on how to start off on adjusting my suspension what is the starting point I should start at how should I know which way to turn on the adjusters rather than the tens on the top of the forks not knowing where they were at or where the guy before me has basically maxed them out I think he had everything on full heart and I mean bottom of the forks were on top of the forks full card and the back shot who is lowered all the way down with full hard on the compression adjuster on the remote valve

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
owners handbook has the standard setting so try there for a start. If its been lowered via the rear linkage then it might be worth while getting a suspension shop set it up for you. I had my 1000rr set up by a professional and it transformed the handling for the better!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Agree with the suspension shop idea. Anyone who took the expense of putting a Penske on probably did some work on the forks. You want to have a look to see what's there first and then make some decisions. Get the standard dogbone while you're at it.

I have GP Suspensions revalve with 1.0 springs and Penske rear. I'm happy with it, but also felt that the stock suspension was decent on my 06. Turns much better now because of the better geometry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree with the suspension shop idea. Anyone who took the expense of putting a Penske on probably did some work on the forks. You want to have a look to see what's there first and then make some decisions. Get the standard dogbone while you're at it.

I have GP Suspensions revalve with 1.0 springs and Penske rear. I'm happy with it, but also felt that the stock suspension was decent on my 06. Turns much better now because of the better geometry.
Yeah we'll definitely try to find a shop or find someone that knows what they're talking about and doing of course because my left front fork seal is just steadily leaking I've tried you know the seal mate idea but I didn't take the dust cap off and go up inside the tube I just cleaned out the inside of the dust cap thinking maybe that could have worked but obviously I need to pop that dust cap off and then go up inside the tube and try to see if I can't get any of that dirt or build up or whatever could be in there making it leak. So you may think that if someone took the money and time and got the Penske 9897 triple adjustment back rear shock they probably would have done some work with the front forks? I mean don't get me wrong I like the fact that it's lowered you know I'm fully flat-footed on 5 ft 8 and I'm flat-footed sitting on it but I'm trying to I've been adjusting it here lately messing with the rider height and trying to fix the suspension little by little each time I right before I ride and you know I've been doing it by feeling of course but when I got the bike the guy just had everything maxed out it felt like on hard like it was unreal and felt like that back spring was fully compressed like there was no give to it at all but I appreciate the post back and the advice . But until I can find a shop and also have the money for it to take it to someone to have them look at it I'm just going to have to keep trying it myself if y'all know any techniques on which way to go about that let me know too thanks again guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts