Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

after accident debrief

4K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  zero937 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: I am really new to bikes! so if this is a really dumb question...well thats prolly why
so i was doing a burnout in my backyard, ATGATT WAS in effect mind you, and it was going ok and then my bike caught and...well...i launched, popped a wheelie and i pulled the clutch in and my bike kept going. needless to say i ran into something and flipped over my bars and dropped the bike. my question is this:
why did the clutch not disengage and bring the bike down? was it just that i had too much momentum and it just kept going? i couldnt find the rear brake in time to try to bring the bike down.

#2 ·
Disclaimer: I am really new to bikes! so if this is a really dumb question...well thats prolly why
so i was doing a burnout in my backyard, ATGATT WAS in effect mind you, and it was going ok and then my bike caught and...well...i launched, popped a wheelie and i pulled the clutch in and my bike kept going. needless to say i ran into something and flipped over my bars and dropped the bike. my question is this:
why did the clutch not disengage and bring the bike down? was it just that i had too much momentum and it just kept going? i couldnt find the rear brake in time to try to bring the bike down.
Momentum.
You need to close the throttle and the engine braking will slow the bike down.

#4 ·
Surprised thats the only thing you broke!

+1 with Blade, the same as if you were to pop it up onto a paddock stand and dis engage and re engage the clutch the rear wheel would spin until the drag of the bearings/brakes etc would stop it.

#5 ·
noted! good to know. i did crack the upper fairing i think and maybe bent the left foot peg....didnt get to see it too well before it got dark. I was putting it away and i got an itch to practice doing a burn out for when i drag it next year. do you want higher rpm like for a car while doing a burnout or is the ideal rpm "just enough to get the job done"?

#6 ·
noted! good to know. i did crack the upper fairing i think and maybe bent the left foot peg....didnt get to see it too well before it got dark. I was putting it away and i got an itch to practice doing a burn out for when i drag it next year. do you want higher rpm like for a car while doing a burnout or is the ideal rpm "just enough to get the job done"?
I don't do burnouts (even when I have done drags) but I would think keeping the revs up would reduce the chances of the tyre hooking up.

#7 ·
thats what i thought but i had it at about 7000 and then it just hooked outta nowhere and sent the fron tire up and not a half a second later i pulled in the clutch and the front came down riiiiight before i hit my hand rail on my porch...it was about a 30 foot distance i think

#10 ·
hmmm....youre prolly right. i think im just used to v8 motors where its a cardnial sin to go over 6500 rpm. so what should it have been at? maybe 10000 rpm? and what would happen if it sticks there too? haha maybe im over thinking this?
Personally I'd stop messing around with burnouts and put the effort into learning to launch the bike.

#13 ·
to be honest this is my 3rd attempt at a burnout. and this is exactly why i tried too. id rather have this happen before i get to the track you know? i have nowhere to work on the launches until next spring as i wont do that kind of stuff on the streets.
Why are you wanting to do burnouts though? All you're doing is burning up your tyre, clutch and oil and annoying your neighbours.
I don't know when spring is but surely there's somewhere you can practise launching?

#14 ·
thats coming too bro, next spring. I'm already paid for a 2 day track class! btw you think bikes were only designed for twisties? cmon man it only makes sense to drag bikes too. power to weight ratio it far too great not to send em down the quarter!

QUOTE: Why are you wanting to do burnouts though? All you're doing is burning up your tyre, clutch and oil and annoying your neighbours.
I don't know when spring is but surely there's somewhere you can practise launching?

The only reason to do a burn out (as far as functionality) is to warm up the tire. and like i said i was just trying to figure out how to do it before i get up to the water box and look like a retard! :smilebig:

#19 ·
are burnouts unnecessary before you send it down the quarter? i know they are in drag cars. Im all new to this 2 wheels thing. any help would be great!!
Depends on the weight, power and tyre footprint - and how well you can get the clutch out.

#22 ·
one of the only things i regret in life is not getting on a bike sooner...i got into cars and drag racing waay early and at where im at now with that i think about how i could be that far with bikes and it kills me. i do suspect more crashes and falls and broken pieces but i guess thats the norm? what did you all do with your first bikes when you cracked the fairings? did you just leave it or get it fixed? I kinda want to get it fixed but at the same time i know im gonna be pushing the bike as well as myself and i fully understand the backlash that comes with that.

#23 · (Edited)
one of the only things i regret in life is not getting on a bike sooner...i got into cars and drag racing waay early and at where im at now with that i think about how i could be that far with bikes and it kills me. i do suspect more crashes and falls and broken pieces but i guess thats the norm? what did you all do with your first bikes when you cracked the fairings? did you just leave it or get it fixed? I kinda want to get it fixed but at the same time i know im gonna be pushing the bike as well as myself and i fully understand the backlash that comes with that.
I bought my ZX6R after it had slid under the front of a car and the fairings were in lots of pieces. I jigged the upper into its correct shape with wire and cut some sheets of aluminium mesh to fit into it. Then I gave it a thick coat of black silicone, pressed the mesh into it and smoothed the silicone over. It worked remarkably well. The rest I just stiched back together with cable ties every two-inches :)
I ride hard enough that I expect to crash all the time so I'm not big on replacing damaged bits unless I have to, since I know I'm going to break them again :)
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/77580-serious-fairing-issue.html#post837398

#25 ·
The ZX6R is my current on-road bike although I've decided to put the 929 back in road trim very soon as well.

#28 ·
:)
I don't want to as I love the way the engine spins up without the rotor but I will need a charging system. I can probably get by without the starter motor though.
I'm considering trying to run a scooter charging system but I need to do some calculations to see if I can get something with enough output to run everything needed for road use - fuel pump, injectors, PC2, thermo fan, instruments, headlight (just one small CBR250RR headlight), indicators and tail light. I figure some of the newer scooters are running a fair bit of electrical junk these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.