Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tossing up whether to have work done to tidy up my original bodywork or buy an aftermarket replacement kit. Any good or bad experiences? Anyone bought from motorcyclefairingsale.co.uk ? Thanks in advance.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Phil

I restored my RR-R using Chinese fairings (see clicky below) and if I had my time agin I would have spent more money and repainted the original bodywork, the aftermarket stuff looks OK if you spend the time and fit it properly, I painted my fuel tank to match so the end results were very good, however they are not a patch on the original Honda panels. Both finish and quality with the Chinese stuff are very hit and miss and if you buy direct it’s difficult to return it if you are not happy with the quality.

Having owned a Chinese clad blade and now an one wearing its original clothes, I would always take the bike with the original bodywork.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Agree with above.

I've used Chinese on a 2011 Blade. Had no problems with appearance and fitment.

However, for long-term I would pay extra to respray originals. The Chinese will not take well to removing/replacing because they are nowhere near as flexible as OEMs.

Look at it this way: Are you after a one-night-stand or long-term relationship?:wink

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, your responses are just as i thought, my bodywork isn’t too bad, just needs a bit of attention to the mounting clips where they have cracked, so prob just need a plastic welder and a paintshop. Only considered the chinese stuff as its already “decal’d” and i seem to be struggling to find reputable repro items, lots of horror stories about badly cut graphics and not very UV stable, so they fade.
Also can’t determine the difference between the “types” of decals ie: type 5, type 6 etc. This is my bike at the moment!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used the chinese body work on my 929rr the kit they sent included all the plastic even the inside pieces. All together it looks good and no one has been able to tell it was not original so far....
as for plastic welding, the best thing I have found is to use a can of ABS cement from Lowes ($5-6) use on the back side of the faring and let dry completely before sanding and finishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts