1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Im after a new set of discs front and back for my Honda cbr 954 2003
There seems to be a few around with not a lot of reviews about them
Can anyone recommend a decent set preferably within the £250 mark?
Thanks in advance

Honda cbr 954 2003

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Service limit on these is 3.5mm. My 929, which has done over 100,000km, still has the originals, still just under 4mm. Despite having seen off a couple of sets of Carbon Lorraine pads, which are known to chomp discs. (I did change them early though, they go off quite quickly).
But if you've bent them, then of course you'll need new....second hand is maybe possible but they only need to be a little bent to shake your fillings out, and you won't spot that with eyeballing them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So I've spannered for race teams using late 90's/ early 2000's honda bikes (why would you race anything else?) and I can wholeheartedly say that OEM honda parts are as good if not better than most aftermarket parts. On an endurance race in Belgium our 04 cbr600rr pads and discs did not fade at all and were even used at the next meeting without fault.

Honda spend millions in R+D specifically on the parts for your bike. Even companies like brembo who's budget for testing will be significant, their products are aimed to cover a wider spectrum of machines and applications so I don't believe they could realistically be better unless you're talking about super high end products, which to be fair none of us really need because we're not world class.

But then again bling is bling :dance:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A lot of 954 owners have been happy with Arashi rotors. I have a set on my 2006, no blames on them.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
So I've spannered for race teams using late 90's/ early 2000's honda bikes (why would you race anything else?) and I can wholeheartedly say that OEM honda parts are as good if not better than most aftermarket parts. On an endurance race in Belgium our 04 cbr600rr pads and discs did not fade at all and were even used at the next meeting without fault.

Honda spend millions in R+D specifically on the parts for your bike. Even companies like brembo who's budget for testing will be significant, their products are aimed to cover a wider spectrum of machines and applications so I don't believe they could realistically be better unless you're talking about super high end products, which to be fair none of us really need because we're not world class.

But then again bling is bling :dance:
^ This

The RC51 and early CBR liter bikes have the best rotors and pads you can reasonably afford. I cant speak to newer 1k RR's or 600's but I've heard how good honda stuff is since I got my RC51 8 years ago. I believe it.

I have bought used rotors, taken 'em to a frame shop. They'll check them for free, straighten them if needed for a fee. The one rotor I bought that was too warped - I showed the buyer the specs - he refunded me. I also verify with a seller what the mic readings are before purchasing used rotors.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Searching through my email it seems at some point I worked with a guy who did some rotor straightening (or just evaluation) for me. If I'd remembered then I might have done the same with my OEM rotors...but then again I wouldn't have the bling I do now.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I know my front wheel and bearings are nuts-on straight. If I suspect a bent rotor, I remove the calipers so the wheel will spin freely. Then I attach a screwdriver horizontally to the fork tube, so the tip just touches the outside of the brake rotor. Then spin the wheel. You'll see then if it's wrapped by using the screwdriver tip as reference. I move the screwdriver tip across the face of the friction zone for a good visual check. This has served me well so far.
Obvioulsy- be careful with the screwdriver. Dohhhh... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts