Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a cure for the fuel pressure regulator on a 954? I am at 20,000 miles and I have had 4 of them on the bike. My last one failed after just 700 miles:eek: . I would like to go with an aftermarket set up if one is available. I was told that maybe the fuel pump was putting out too much pressure and maybe this is causing the failure. BUT I do not want to fork out 300.00 for the fuel pump unit to find out it is not the issue.

Somebody help me!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Does anybody have a cure for the fuel pressure regulator on a 954? I am at 20,000 miles and I have had 4 of them on the bike. My last one failed after just 700 miles:eek: . I would like to go with an aftermarket set up if one is available. I was told that maybe the fuel pump was putting out too much pressure and maybe this is causing the failure. BUT I do not want to fork out 300.00 for the fuel pump unit to find out it is not the issue.

Somebody help me!
if you ahve had 4 fail something tells me that the problem is not the regulator, its just where the problem is making itself known.. have you tested your pump? input voltage to it? check for any flow restrictions?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

Somebody help me!
Were they new or secondhand?
In what way are they failing?
Do you put anything in the fuel system other than petrol?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were they new or secondhand?
In what way are they failing?
Do you put anything in the fuel system other than petrol?
They have all been new. It appears that the diaphragm is tearing. I have not added anything to the fuel except the occasional seafoam to clean the system out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you ahve had 4 fail something tells me that the problem is not the regulator, its just where the problem is making itself known.. have you tested your pump? input voltage to it? check for any flow restrictions?
I am wondering about how much pressure is supposed to be coming out of the fuel pump. I do not want to put a new one in unless I KNOW it is bad since it is 300.00. I have not checked input voltage and there are no restrictions in the flow.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
They have all been new. It appears that the diaphragm is tearing. I have not added anything to the fuel except the occasional seafoam to clean the system out.
maybe the seafoam is causing it to tear. I think I have 27k-28k miles on my bike and haven't had to replace the regulator ever and I've never added seafoam. you really don't need to be adding it much especially with such low mileage unless your have really crappy gas down there but I bet you would have known is the gas was that crappy.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I only added the sea foam the last 700 miles....This one has me really stumped!
I think you'll need to check the fuel pressure but if that checks out I don't know where to go next. I wonder if it's possible for the vacuum to be not just too high, but so high it could tear the diaphram?
Perhaps something is causing the diaphram to "flutter" or somehow "over-working" causing it to fail early?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a 929rr fuel pressure went bad, what I did is plug the vacuum connection to the regulator and removed the t-connector lines for the vacuum and run it straight to both end of the vacuum. Rode the bike and runs fine.Hopefully it will stay that way.Hopefully this will help.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Got a 929rr fuel pressure went bad, what I did is plug the vacuum connection to the regulator and removed the t-connector lines for the vacuum and run it straight to both end of the vacuum. Rode the bike and runs fine.Hopefully it will stay that way.Hopefully this will help.

Do you mean that with no vacuum connection to the FPR the bike runs just fine right out to redline under load?

·
Registered
13 Posts
YES, RODE IT SHE RESPONSE A LOT BETTER THAN BEFORE, TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET. WILL KEEP YOU INFORM IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL, THANKS

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
YES, RODE IT SHE RESPONSE A LOT BETTER THAN BEFORE, TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET. WILL KEEP YOU INFORM IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL, THANKS

Please do.
Very useful information.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
No reason to yell.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine failed 3000miles ago so i fited an adjustable aftermarket 1, got it on the bay for £20, i think i set it to 50psi, working fine so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update, I rode my bike today for about 14 miles, she run great with no issues.test her on low speed with no hesitation and accelerate and took off like bat out of hell.Hopefully stays that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ALSO FOUND THIS IN EBAY JDM UNIVERSAL SILVER FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR WITH GAUGE 0-140 PSI ADJUSTABLE FOR $ 23.99 WITH FREE SHIPPING, THIS ONE IS ADJUSTABLE, BUT YOU HAVE TO RETRO FIT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts