Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to throw the cowards thing in there to made BDA happy.

So my father and I have been wanting an AR for some time now and decided why not build our own. So this past weekend while I was at the Supercross, my dad went to a local show and picked up a stripped DPMS lower, DPMS internals kit, and a 6 position collapsable stock. Last night we assembled the lower. Wasn't all that bad, took about 45 minutes, way easier then I thought it would have been. Now we're having to decide on an upper assy to complete the build. We are down to 2 choices. The first being an LMT. A bit pricey but great stuff. The second is a CMT/Stag Arms upper. Also great quality, a bit cheaper and has a few things that the LMT doesn't. I'm strongly leaning towards the Stag and hope to get hold of it as soon as I get my tax return. I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
why dont you just buy one? the last gun show here you couldn't spit without hitting one

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we buy one with all the stuff we want it's gonna cost about $1500. So we are starting pretty basic and mix matching to get what we want. In the end we'll save around $500 buy building it ourselves and be happy that we "made" our own.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
NinerPilot said:
Get the Barrett 6.8SPC upper... :eyebrows: very nice...
:thumb: I like that bit of kit.

Nice, wish I could play with the platform more.

I think I'm going to be ordering one of these this month for my single shot lower. I've read around, and talked to a couple of companies, and liked them the most.

http://www.50bmg.net/

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NinerPilot said:
Get the Barrett 6.8SPC upper... :eyebrows: very nice...
Maybe at a later date. Have been reading up on the 6.8 and it sounds pretty sweet. This is our first AR so we're gonna go simple. Later I think I'll go silly with one and maybe build an MRP and outfit it with all the goodies.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
ReaperAZ said:
If we buy one with all the stuff we want it's gonna cost about $1500. So we are starting pretty basic and mix matching to get what we want. In the end we'll save around $500 buy building it ourselves and be happy that we "made" our own.
gotcha :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
make sure when buying the upper you get the maching barrel and also make sure its mil-spec 5.56mm not .223 the reason being that the 5.56mm barrel will accomadate 5.56 and 223 rounds as 223 barrel wont without stopages witch suck when your trying to shoot all day,as well as knowing what type of shooting?long range or just plain rippen rounds off 1:7 ratio works great for average shooting long range 1:9-1:12 but the wears out faster

·
Registered
948 Posts
out here where me and Reap are the wilderness is our range :D
there are a few indoor places i know of and one outdoor but usually just go outside of city limit and have fun in the desert shootin peoples trash (old washing machines, cars, etc...)its fun as long as you pick up after yourself (brass and whatnot)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cwr954 said:
make sure when buying the upper you get the maching barrel and also make sure its mil-spec 5.56mm not .223 the reason being that the 5.56mm barrel will accomadate 5.56 and 223 rounds as 223 barrel wont without stopages witch suck when your trying to shoot all day,as well as knowing what type of shooting?long range or just plain rippen rounds off 1:7 ratio works great for average shooting long range 1:9-1:12 but the wears out faster
I''m getting a complete upper, assembled. As for twist rate a lot of the M4 profile barrels I see are either 1:7 or 1:9. The LMT we are looking at is 1:7 while the Stag is 1:9.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ReaperAZ said:
I''m getting a complete upper, assembled. As for twist rate a lot of the M4 profile barrels I see are either 1:7 or 1:9. The LMT we are looking at is 1:7 while the Stag is 1:9.
cool i use 1:7 it works well as a all round,longer and short range and accomidates most grains of bullets good as well,sounds like it will be a cool wepon when your done,i have invested about $2800 in mine and i would not get any other type,used an olympic lower,colt barrel and flat top upper,6 pos stock,quad rail,forward handle eotech holographic sight and is always accurate :evilaugh: :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
starting to look good,the hard part is done,if you need any sorces for parts or diagrams i have lots and most parts suppliers are in the u.s. and all the torque specs

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you check the headspace, expecialy if you buy a barrel and bolt from two different places. Reguardless, its a good thing to check. USGI "field" grade gauges are cheap and while not as accurate as a "go" and "no-go" gauges, it will at least tell you if the rifle is not so loose as to be dangerious.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Also, if your going to ever use this rifle for training,and keeping the A2 grip, you need to pop the trigger guard back out and round over the sharp inside edges of the reciever with a file on those tangs the roll pin goes through. Holding the pistol grip, you will see side of your middle finger rests on this, and I guarentee after a day or two of holding it in the ready position, it will chew your finger up. Ive seen it with literaly hundreds of students. I believe some of the aftermarket grips address this problem by covering this area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts