Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 900 is running a k&n filter (on the bikewhen I bought it) and right now I'm running with no muffler. Ok, my question is, is it safe to cut out the divider in the airbox? It (as far as I know) is runnin the the stock jets. And even if it is gonna do anything to help in a performance aspect?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
My 98 900 is running a k&n filter (on the bikewhen I bought it) and right now I'm running with no muffler. Ok, my question is, is it safe to cut out the divider in the airbox? It (as far as I know) is runnin the the stock jets. And even if it is gonna do anything to help in a performance aspect?

What divider do you mean?
I'd be surprised if there'd be any performance benefit to removing it.
You'd probably see more improvement from simply putting in a new OEM filter. Oh, and an even bigger improvement simply by putting a muffler on it of course.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the airbox there's a divider that runs thru the middle of it, it has a cutout in the center of it that has an oval shaped "velocity stack". I can't upload pics right now or I'd just take one. And the stock filter is really that much better then the k&n? And runnin a muffler would bump performance? I thought it was the other way around? Plus, I REALLY like the open exhaust sound!!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
In the airbox there's a divider that runs thru the middle of it, it has a cutout in the center of it that has an oval shaped "velocity stack". I can't upload pics right now or I'd just take one. And the stock filter is really that much better then the k&n? And runnin a muffler would bump performance? I thought it was the other way around? Plus, I REALLY like the open exhaust sound!!

Yes, the OEM filter is better than K&N. You don't run K&N for performance, you run it because it's reusable.
If you only ride in the top third of the tach and you have jetted the bike to suit it, then running without a muffler will give you maximum peak output but a significant loss of midrange power.
What do your neighbours think of your exhaust sound?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts