Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Akrapovic Slip-on vs Yoshimura full system (same price)

17K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  baxsom 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2006 CBR 1000rr and I am looking to get a new exhaust. I already have the power commander III usb. Here are some prices I've found:

Akrapovic Slip on with hex canister $635.00
Yoshimura RS5 stainless steel slip on $280.00
Yoshimura RS5 Full exhaust with stainless steel headers with stainless steel canister $670 (add $60 for titanium or add $135 for carbon fiber add $40 for cone end cap)

I understand that a slip on + mapping = 5%-8% horse power gain while the full exhaust + mapping = 10%-15% is this so? Is it very difficult to install the full system (I am worried about the O2 sensor and the valve thing) I am getting the repair manual, would I be able to install a full system myself if I've never done that before (I am mechanically inclined though :eyebrows: )

What would you guys go for?

#2 ·
if it helps your decision a full system is a pretty easy install. unbolt the old stuff and slide the new stuff in and bolt it up. leave it all lose until each pipe is attached and you have it sitting properly then tighten it all up. not sure if you have to unbolt the lower portion of the radiator on the 1000 to get a little more clearance or not.

I'd go with new header gaskets too if you go that route.

#6 ·
thats funny
on the 1000rr.net site yosh is considered one of the worst exhaust choices you can make with a honda
yes they work great on gixxers but even the yosh company says that 5-8 hp is all that you can expect with a yosh

10 is the norm with sato and arata pipes
with a good tuner you can get even higher

#7 ·
for real world riding IMHO any full system is going to benefit the bike. i like a full system vs. slip on. in the end 5hp is not going to be noticed on the seat of the pants dyno, and with a good exhaust and tuning you'll be happy with whatever system you pick.

#10 ·
if you want a system that makes power get a sato or an arata

dyno charts show that the sato full loses a little in the midrange but really performs on the top end
thats fine for track riding

if you are riding in the real world and want to gain midrange power
get sato then arata

hp gains putting wheel hp beyon 160 are common which in some cases is a +15 over stock in the usable range

that much of a gain can definetly be felt

if you are just looking for a better sound a little weight savings get a yosh
but at least check out the sato/arata pair

i personally love my arata
from every perfect weld crafted lovingly by hand to the awesome sound it was worth every penny

i gained 8 hp over the baseline with a downloaded map
that the Air/fuel was all over the place
a custom tune will push that even higher

#13 ·
Looking at your price options I would go with the yosh over a bolt on. If you want to spend over $1000 look into the arata or sato. If you want to stay in your price range you mentioned. I would go with the yoshi. It doesnt make much sense to buy a bolt on for the price of a full system, plus u already have a PC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.