Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once read that the Pro Honda teams all use Akropov. systems.  Meaning that Duhamel's pipe is stamped Jardine, and Robert's says Erion, but there both really Akropovic.  Anyone know of any truth to this?  

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
why bother developing a pipe when someone already has one that works? Buy the pipe, put your name on it and it's all cheaper and easier..

that's my theory..

Z...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
well... Its true, but not 100%...

First year, Honda did have HRC designed pipes made by akro for all the teams. The ama guys had jardine stickers, the wsbk team had akro stickers...

After that though, it gets wierd... They are all still HRC designed pipes, but jardine did build them for the teams as did akro for the wsbk teams...

There was a similar post to this on rogue and something of that sort was given as an explanation... LDH and wstaab know the story directly and laid it out for everyone... I'll see if I can dig it up and post it here... But it wasn't a clear cut deal, it has changed a few times over the years... But only what changed was WHO made them... They were all DESIGNED by HRC.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Quote borrowed from rogue, LDH posted it and I deem it to be accurate:

Akra built the headers & cans (to HRC specs) for the first year of World Superbike & AMA Superbike racing.

Also during that first year Jardine did supply some carbon cannisters for the AMA Honda team & the cannister literally self destructed during practice laps around several different circuits. Ultimately they ended up using Akra cans with Jardine badges.

EDIT: Ooops I forgot to mention that it was actually a Jardine header that failed at Daytona costing Nicky the win, which is why they went forward with the Akra headers...

Last year Akra continued to make headers for both teams, but Jardine also upped the ante & did make a significant run of HRC spec headers for the AMA Superbike team which as I understand it did get used throughout the season, but not solely as the AMA team ran the Akra systems again rebadged as Jardine's at some of the circuits late in the season.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The Erion 954 systems at least use an Erion can. Dunno about the headers.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
luvtolean : The Erion 954 systems at least use an Erion can.  Dunno about the headers.
I bet thats actually their pipe too... I bet its 100% erion.

My post above is referring to the RC's only, sorry if I didn't make that known...

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Cliff : Quote (Chain @ May 12 2003, 11:55am)I KNEW there was a reason I've got an Akra!  
Yeah.....The color!!
LOL!

Well, I did have the titanium variant on my SV last summer.... even had a sticker on it!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ccwilli3 : Quote borrowed from rogue, LDH posted it and I deem it to be accurate:

Akra built the headers & cans (to HRC specs) for the first year of World Superbike & AMA Superbike racing.

Also during that first year Jardine did supply some carbon cannisters for the AMA Honda team & the cannister literally self destructed during practice laps around several different circuits. Ultimately they ended up using Akra cans with Jardine badges.

EDIT: Ooops I forgot to mention that it was actually a Jardine header that failed at Daytona costing Nicky the win, which is why they went forward with the Akra headers...

Last year Akra continued to make headers for both teams, but Jardine also upped the ante & did make a significant run of HRC spec headers for the AMA Superbike team which as I understand it did get used throughout the season, but not solely as the AMA team ran the Akra systems again rebadged as Jardine's at some of the circuits late in the season.
Thanks for the info ccwilli3.  Very interesting stuff...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts