Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys got preferences for Alarms or more specifically heard anything about attaching alarms to the new 2004 model fireblade?

I'm considering the below model BIkeBandit bit it doesn't have an audible alarm to deter vandals (one of my mates has had battery acid pored over his tank after a failed attempt to steal it). But It does have the ability to track the bike down if it is pinched using GPS and SMS(text messages).

http://www.rojone.com.au/bandit/bikebandit.html

Any thoughts on other alarms?

Thanks for your time.

Matt

Enjoy!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Looks like a nice system, but if the new 'Blade has as much room as the 600RR(or lack of) you don't have a place to put that big shiny box. Get a big fat chain with a big fat lock and a big fat disc lock or two and you're set. If they want your bike bad enough, they're gonna take it

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a similar system in my 94 Legend. It's cellular based and the antenna is hidden xxxxxxxxxxxx, and most importantly it has it's own power supply.

It doesn't seem practical to me because of it's size and lack of external power source. You're depending on the cellular network for the system to have service, and I'm sure the antenna/ground plane aren't very good. These systems "wake up" and update every 20 minutes to conserve power and upon a trigger event. I just don't think it will be practical for recreational vehicles for a few years, when the size and current demand can be improved and new battery technology incorporated. It is better than LoJack or PACSAG based paging systems though. If you want an alarm, get a bike specific security system, hide the brain well and be different, I've wired the kill circuits to the kickstand switch, clutch switch, tilt sensor instead of the typical starter wire in the usual location.

2 guys and a truck and it's gone before you know it. I don't have an alarm on mine, but have a large plastic coated chain and 2 locks for when I'm not going to be near it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
BillAce said:
I have a similar system in my 94 Legend. It's cellular based and the antenna is hidden xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and most importantly it has it's own power supply.

It doesn't seem practical to me because of it's size and lack of external power source. You're depending on the cellular network for the system to have service, and I'm sure the antenna/ground plane aren't very good. These systems "wake up" and update every 20 minutes to conserve power and upon a trigger event. I just don't think it will be practical for recreational vehicles for a few years, when the size and current demand can be improved and new battery technology incorporated. It is better than LoJack or PACSAG based paging systems though. If you want an alarm, get a bike specific security system, hide the brain well and be different, I've wired the kill circuits to the kickstand switch, clutch switch, tilt sensor instead of the typical starter wire in the usual location.

2 guys and a truck and it's gone before you know it. I don't have an alarm on mine, but have a large plastic coated chain and 2 locks for when I'm not going to be near it.

I've spoken to the manufacturer, and there is an option of an integrated battery backup along with extra sensors.

I too have thought of the implications of a bike which has been immoblised then lost GSM service. Without a means to mobilise the engine, it stays there!

Other than on going fees (of course you need another GSM phone account with this system) the other thing I don't like about the paging systems is the need for me to carry around another bloody piece of electonics in my pocket.

I'm also told that the interfaces to this system offers simple means to interface to. So it could be a good basis for future customisations.

As far as I can tell, this would be the best defence against two guys and a truck(other than being chained to a groudn anchor). Handing the SMSed GPS co-ords and local GSM tower name to the police should rapidly aid recovery and arrest.

But your point on cost and size are definate concerns.

As a side thought, more for the car version of this system. It can be setup to send SMSs to a designated number if the vehicle goes over a certain speed. Could be a handy feature if your lending the car to a mate or your kids......

Out of interest what system is in your Legend?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have the ATX on gaurd system. They were marketed by Alpine under "Mobile Mayday" as well.

There are multiple inputs/outputs that are practical in a car, door lock/unlock, windows etc but not worthwile on a bike and only make the unit larger. The battery backup in my car is the size of a motorcycle battery, so it isn't practical to add that option, I wonder how long the integrated battery would last. You also have to hope you have GSM signal when the unit is updating or it's just another dropped cell call and wasted current.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This might be an option if it is sold down under :idunno: Defa I have only heard good things about their motorcycle alarm systems.

I'v considered fitting one myself, but I find the underseat storage space quite valuable. I'f I do buy one, I will post pics of the installation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have Honda OE alarm on my 929, -01. So far so good. It has worked just great and I still have my 929. Well, in a few days it will go as a trade in for a new 1000RR though. :hyper: :cycle:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been a car audio installer for many years. Recently, I decided to put an alarm on my 929. I couldn't find one that I liked and that had the features that I wanted, so I designed on, based upon exist alarm concepts. I had it made in China and received the prototype last week. I am making additional modifications to it now and sending it back to them to finish. Hopefully, in about 2 months, I'll have a cheap, reliable, feature-filled motorcycle specific alarm that is completely designed for Hondas. It will be a plug and play unit - no cutting the factory harness. If you can hold off for a little bit, I'll make them available cheap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
DavidGS said:
I have been a car audio installer for many years. Recently, I decided to put an alarm on my 929. I couldn't find one that I liked and that had the features that I wanted, so I designed on, based upon exist alarm concepts. I had it made in China and received the prototype last week. I am making additional modifications to it now and sending it back to them to finish. Hopefully, in about 2 months, I'll have a cheap, reliable, feature-filled motorcycle specific alarm that is completely designed for Hondas. It will be a plug and play unit - no cutting the factory harness. If you can hold off for a little bit, I'll make them available cheap.
Hey that sounds great. Put me on your list and send me an email when you get it finished. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DavidGS said:

Willing to give us a teaser on the features?

·
Registered
476 Posts
DavidGS said:

Being involved in the development a few 12V products, I think the "Plug and play" method of security is a bad idea. Many car manufacturers were doing this with aftermarket products (usually Code alarm) and it doesn't protect very well. It pretty much ensured that you could go to a specific location and unplug, bypass the security system with little effort since it was "standardized". Effective security is 100% dependent on installation, taking that away severly limits a products worthyness IMO.

·
Registered
96 Posts
matt232 said:
Willing to give us a teaser on the features?
Just the regular basic features - tilt, kickstand, radar, shok, remote start, 2 way paging, a couple of extra outputs. Basically a nice small package. Give a couple of options for toys of course.

·
Registered
96 Posts
BillAce said:
Being involved in the development a few 12V products, I think the "Plug and play" method of security is a bad idea. Many car manufacturers were doing this with aftermarket products (usually Code alarm) and it doesn't protect very well. It pretty much ensured that you could go to a specific location and unplug, bypass the security system with little effort since it was "standardized". Effective security is 100% dependent on installation, taking that away severly limits a products worthyness IMO.
Well, think about it. Most people realize that a bike is pretty quick to steal, so you could have non-normal wire colors, hidden brain, etc, and that won't slow down 4 guys from pulling up, grabbing it, and throwing it in a van and taking off. And that IS the most common method to stealing bikes around here. NO alarm is going to "stop" that.

Most guys on here are NOT installers and have a hard enough time installing a PC3. Most car audio shops will overcharge them to install an alarm, and they won't be any safer than a plug-n-play unit. This unit would lessen the cost of installing an alarm for them.

You also have to remember most thieves are not all that educated about sportbike plugin locations. If they are pros, they aren't messing with $8k-$10k sportbikes, they are stealing Accords and Camrys for body shop parts.

I am installing the first prototype of the alarm (non-plugin) tomorrow on my 929 if I get time. It has the remote start and has one extra output.

BTW - you could always cut-off the plugs and wire it anyway you like - if that makes you feel like it would be any safer. :)

IMO - the best defense is being vigilant.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am more of a believer of a good insurance. If it gets stolen, then I have a perfectly good reason to get the 1000RR. It took me a month of whining :crying: to my wife to get the 2003 954RR.

How about the locks that go on the disc brakes? Still doesn't prevent the van scenario, but at least its another level of annoyance for the thieves.

:eyebrows:

·
Registered
96 Posts
azamora954 said:
I am more of a believer of a good insurance. If it gets stolen, then I have a perfectly good reason to get the 1000RR. It took me a month of whining :crying: to my wife to get the 2003 954RR.

How about the locks that go on the disc brakes? Still doesn't prevent the van scenario, but at least its another level of annoyance for the thieves.

Since it will give you a reason to get the 1000RR, I'll stop by this weekend and you can toss me the keys to your 954. :D

Disc locks can't hurt. I have 2 and I always use them if I can't see the bike. I'll still use them with the alarm.

Just installed about half the alarm right now, found a few things that I didn't like and will have to change.

On another note, most of the wires that need to be tagged for security are either under the seat or the gas tank, out of reach from the outside of the bike. At least they would have to unbolt the seat first. Might have to include a set of security screws with the alarm.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
azamora954 said:

Nice philosophy but it just doesn't help someone who is getting the 04 model. :hyper: :rasp:

I wouldn't count on the upgrade there are apparently a heap of brand new 02/03 models still lying around.....I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept on giving you the last model until you run out of people you can throw the keys to. Insurance companies exist only to screw you. :pissed2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought a Scorpio Alarm for my bike...

They seem to be well regarded (reading Motorcycle.com's and SprotRiders' writeups), and well featured. I bought "last year's" model on ebay (CYl300EX) with all of the options for about $275. The newer model (with the snazzy LED 2-way apger/remote) costs $299 for the basic unit, withouth the options (options include microwave perimeter snesor, anti-hijack, etc.). I am doing the install myself this weekend (I am pretty good with a soldering iron--I learned on my RC Cars!) and plan to get "creative" with placement and wiring. If one buys the basic system, it is almost plug and play (with only two leads--one to each battery terminal) and no "splicing." The options mandate some splicing, however (ignition kill, etc.), though most plug into accessory ports in the small brain. I'll post an update when I'm through (forgive me for not posting pics, but the reasons are obvious... ;0).

:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Looks like a nice system, but if the new 'Blade has as much room as the 600RR(or lack of) you don't have a place to put that big shiny box. Get a big fat chain with a big fat lock and a big fat disc lock or two and you're set. If they want your bike bad enough, they're gonna take it
I hear ya, ND4SPD--however, i feel that i want to fight them every step of the way. I remember a day about 14 years ago when I walked outside and found an empty spot where my 1986 GSXR750 Limited Edition used to be--that's a feeling I don't ever care to relive. I had an attempted robbery in Beverly Hills once (of all places..) in 1993 when i ran into an office building to pick up a paycheck. I had a very tricked-out 1992 GSXR1100. I always use a Krytponite U-lock (this was before the smaller ones were in vogue), and it was suprising indeed to come out of the building, round the corner, and find some schmoe working on my lock with a Makita Grinder--well, I cranked it up to a full run before I nailed the sucker in my best Howie Long impersonation (never even took my helmet and jacket off)... I was pounding him on the floor in my best Randy Coutoure imitation when his buddies rolled-up in a Honda Prelude, and exited with dent pullers and Clubs (as in "The Club") in hand... luckily for me, Beverly Hills PD Rolled out en force and had Glocks pointing at these corksuckers in no time... They took my statement, those of eyewitnesses (apparently bank employees had called the cops immediately when they saw this guy "go down" on my bike), commented positively on the symmetrical appearance of the guy's bruised cheeks and eye sockets (it was self defense--he had a Makita drill in his hand when I tackled him...), and I went on my merry way. I never heard from the DA, so I presume the perps cooped a plea. In any event, thand goodness they didn't have a van, and thank goodness the Krypto slowed them down...

·
Registered
422 Posts
The best alarm is to never let your bike leave your site and always keep it garaged or in the livingroom next to the TV :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts