Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Wow. I'm with you bubba, I don't ever take medicine. There is no such thing as a drug that cures anything. All of these pills are just quick fixes so that when it wears off you have to go back for more. Pharm companies know that if they cure something the patient won't come back, therefore they won't make as much money :lame: :rant:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Wow. I'm with you bubba, I don't ever take medicine. There is no such thing as a drug that cures anything. All of these pills are just quick fixes so that when it wears off you have to go back for more. Pharm companies know that if they cure something the patient won't come back, therefore they won't make as much money :lame: :rant:
I don't think that's entirely true. To truly cure something, you'd have to go in and repair the damage to the genes that resulted in the disease. Most all diseases and cancers have in common the same genetic defect for each individual disease. Gene therapy and "fixes" for DNA damage currently aren't available, as far as I know, although they are studying it. So, for now, all we can do is rely on drugs to alleviate symptoms. Anything taken in excess will have side effects. That goes for vitamins, herbs and other "natural" supplements.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
These studies are complete crap. There will be a study that completely refutes this one, but won't get the attention.
This pain reliever (exactly that a reliever - not intended to cure a damned thing) has been around for over 30 years, and been OTC for nearly 30. This single study showed that elderly people that take increased doses on a daily basis may have an increased risk of heart attack.
BFD. It won't change my occasional taking of a pain reliever that works exactly as advertised one iota.
How about study those that drink large amounts of Pepsi on a daily basis compared to those that only drink water. Uh oh, better start bitching and banning Pepsi.
That said, even if this single study is 100% true and the pain reliever will cause everyone that takes it (even as advised) to have an increased risk of heart attack, which would you rather have? The chance you may have some form of heart attack somewhere down the road or relief of your joint/arthritic pain?
What about if the study showed that it both helped Alzheimer's conditions? Would you rather your father completely waste away to nothingness, or have him be himself - with the increased risk of maybe having a heart attack at some point?

Trial lawyers are the scum of the earth, and I wouldn't even piss on one if he were on fire. These guys will continune to destroy our health and drug system because of single studies like these - that don't prove anything whatsoever.

EDIT: Oh, and Bextra is next on the witch hunt list. Just watch, they will be saying the same thing about it next week.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
ND4SPD said:
:huh:

I hope you don't actually believe any of that...

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
"statistics lie and liars use statistics" this saying came from fact. While statistics can be a wonderful thing they are the easiest thing to distort I know of. Also consider that an official study can provide ammo for lawyers to sue :idunno: Just be catious of new medicines and statistical studies, while both can be beneficial they can also be mistakes.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HondaGalToo said:
I don't think that's entirely true. To truly cure something, you'd have to go in and repair the damage to the genes that resulted in the disease. Most all diseases and cancers have in common the same genetic defect for each individual disease. Gene therapy and "fixes" for DNA damage currently aren't available, as far as I know, although they are studying it. So, for now, all we can do is rely on drugs to alleviate symptoms. Anything taken in excess will have side effects. That goes for vitamins, herbs and other "natural" supplements.

but not "THE HERB" :eyebrows: that is good for you

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
sheepofblue said:
"statistics lie and liars use statistics" this saying came from fact. While statistics can be a wonderful thing they are the easiest thing to distort I know of. Also consider that an official study can provide ammo for lawyers to sue :idunno: Just be catious of new medicines and statistical studies, while both can be beneficial they can also be mistakes.

I took a graduate level stats class over the summer...and learned even using good procedure, which these "sensational" studies rarely do, it's unbelievably easy to make the numbers say what you want.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
luvtolean said:
I took a graduate level stats class over the summer...and learned even using good procedure, which these "sensational" studies rarely do, it's unbelievably easy to make the numbers say what you want.
Yes. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. :D

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
TraumaOne said:
:huh:

I hope you don't actually believe any of that...
When was the last time they found a cure for anything? Everything seems to be a patch...

My mom has a co-worker who's son walked out of med school because some professors were teaching their class in such a way that suggested they should always make sure the patient comes back for checkups so they can get more money. One particular one even said that whenever possible they should prescribe medicine that makes the patient feel better, but not necessarily makes the problem go away.

Not trying to start an argument here, but that left a sour taste in my mouth. Then again, for all I know the kid was an idiot and failed out of school and mom just made up a story :idunno:

Maybe I'm too much of a conspiracy theorist... :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
luvtolean said:
Or put another way it is unbelievably hard NOT to make them say what you hope.

Also a 10% error does not mean what most think.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Are these the same guys who said that carbohydrates kill?

:evilaugh:

It's a little amusing to see a bunch of risktaking, horsepower loving, speed addicted kneedraggers quailing in fear of a little pill... I tell you what, that particular drug allows me to do track days. I'll accept the risk to take the risk to get the reward, if you get what I mean.

I guess I'll have to hoard them now.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CBRVFR said:
Are these the same guys who said that carbohydrates kill?

:evilaugh:

It's a little amusing to see a bunch of risktaking, horsepower loving, speed addicted kneedraggers quailing in fear of a little pill... I tell you what, that particular drug allows me to do track days. I'll accept the risk to take the risk to get the reward, if you get what I mean.

I guess I'll have to hoard them now.

yeah, but if i am going to have a heart attack I want it to be because of red meat, sugar, beer, and cookies. NOT a little blue pill

1 - 20 of 47 Posts