Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pulling my hair out for three days. New LED's with a new flasher relay (to avoid the resistors) should be EASY!!! I printed the 93 900rr wiring diagram and ASSUME the black LED wires to be ground and red to be positive. No luck, all four turn signals flash... I've tried searching here (and another website) and found the same info (solid orange/solid lt blue are positive and green is grnd) but ALL FOUR FLASH when I move the switch left OR right!!! I've swapped a few wires back & forth and it's either all or nothing. Any ideas? It's 2 wire LEDs front and rear on a 1993 CBR900RR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
try and get a loose length of wire, then connect all negatives together and run it straight to negative on battery... test that and let know what happens.... ur'e left and right are different coded but as far as i can remember the neg. are all the same...:huh:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like you cross wired the running lights with the turn signals. The front turn signals also have running lights, its a dual element bulb one is always on and its a low wattage filiment. The second filiment is for the turn signals and its a higher wattage (brighter).

If the LED lights turn on then you have the polarity correct (red + Black-)
Make sure you have only one wire going from the turn signal connector going to the +.

If that is the case then I would suspect the new turn signal relay's wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have things wired:
blk (led side -) to green (bike side)
red (led side +) to solid orng left/solid light blue right (bike side)
have the running lights (orng wht/light blue wht) not hooked up

turn the key on, no running lights/turn signals out, flip the switch whatever direction and all four blink (at a normal/slow rate) I agree something seems crossed. Is there only ONE GREEN/GND for the rear signals? I only see one wire on mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other end meaning rear signals?
L - R LED yellow (+) to Orng solid (left) Blue solid (right) at harness/bike
L & R black (-) to SAME Green (-/ground)
And relay was a direct swap. Unplug OE Honda, plug in Motrax Honda relay. That help at all?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and I don't have the plate light (brown wire) to anything, just cut & plugged. Nothing else on the harness is hacked or subpar... I've had the bike for 10+ years and normal blinkers worked fine. I charged the battery to ensure proper voltage too. Kinda lost but thank you for the advice/help.

·
Registered
946 Posts
disconnect the rear lights and see if the front ones work OK. If NO then disconnect the fronts reconnect the rears and see if the rear lights work OK. Two big possibilities: Since the rear lights have a common wire power is back feeding through the opposite lights and since both lights on each side share a common circuit it is making both sides blink. Other possibility is you have EXAMPLE the left front and right rear on one circuit and the other two on the other. This would cross feed power to both sides also.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Also look at the new relay and see how many pins it has and if there is a diagram on the flasher casing. Possible the new flasher is set up diff and feeding both sides.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This did it on the original relay and the new motrax relay. I'll try disconnecting the rears, check things, then the fronts. I wondered about the ground. Is there a seperate left and right ground?

·
Registered
140 Posts
This did it on the original relay and the new motrax relay. I'll try disconnecting the rears, check things, then the fronts. I wondered about the ground. Is there a seperate left and right ground?
I believe there are separtate grounds for left and right. Putting in the original relay shows that the issue is the wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep flashed all four on orig OEM honda relay too. Maybe I'll see about swapping grounds, side to side (easy in the front) but I only have one green/gnd wire in the rear. Thoughts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
some bikes use the relay to make and break the ground leaving power to the lights at all times. If that is the case with your bike the single ground is the issue. To test this disconnect one of the rear led lights foem the ground wire and then try the signals see if the front ones then work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This happened to me as well. When i added LEDs to the rear, everything was fine. When I later added them to the front, one side of the switch did nothing, the other side was like hazard flashers. I tried the mototrax led relay fix, both the 2 & 3 wire version and that didn't work. I finally just put my old ones back on the front. Now I am going to try resistirs added to each of the front LEDs.

The LEDs just don't draw enough juice to make the system work properly. I have no idea why the mototrax thing didn't work, it should have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts