I haven't been able to breathe through my nose for 3 weeks now. I've tried:

Claritin
Zyrtec
Allegra
Sudafed
Contac D
Afrin
Chlor Trimeton
Some generic allergy medicine I found on the counter next door in the animal hospital

Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Claritin D 24 hour.

But watch your blood pressure.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
luvtolean said:
Claritin D 24 hour.

But watch your blood pressure.
Is there something different in Claritin D than in regular Claritin? I'm on Allegra now and it seems to work off and on for about 2 hours, then I'm so congested again that my ears pop when I swallow.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Sunbert said:
Is there something different in Claritin D than in regular Claritin? I'm on Allegra now and it seems to work off and on for about 2 hours, then I'm so congested again that my ears pop when I swallow.
Yeah, Claritin has no decongestant in it. It's just an antihistimine.

The D has both, and it has so much decongestant that it can make some people's blood pressure go up. (the pharmacist told me this)

I can suffer pretty bad during allergy season, and this is the only OTC I've found that works. Especially the 24 hour...it hits you with a high dose...but don't take it at night. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvtolean said:
Yeah, Claritin has no decongestant in it. It's just an antihistimine.

The D has both, and it has so much decongestant that it can make some people's blood pressure go up. (the pharmacist told me this)

I can suffer pretty bad during allergy season, and this is the only OTC I've found that works. Especially the 24 hour...it hits you with a high dose...but don't take it at night. :)
I will buy some in about 45 minutes and will try it on top of the Allegra I've already taken. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
try some of those nasal sprays. they worked for me but hurt and tasted like shit. for as long as i can remember, i have only ever had one nostrel work for me at a time. they switch back and forth but only one is functional and the other is clogged.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sunbert said:
I will buy some in about 45 minutes and will try it on top of the Allegra I've already taken. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!
I wouldn't mix the allergy medications. I think the antihistimines in Allegra and Claritin are different, so mixing can cause problems.

What you can do, and what I do is take the decongestant separately. Look on the box and then buy the decongestant in the dosage and time length that works for you. I think it is pseudonephrine HCL, but not sure on that; look at ingredients.

Also, I've found that if I take too much antihistimine, my nose clogs up. I end up taking more decongestant to keep things flowing and let the sinuses drain.

As noted, watch your blood pressure as that is a potential side effect.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just found out there's an Allegra D. Claritin has never helped my allergies, so after thinking about it I don't think Claritin D would do much good. With Allegra I don't have the constant feeling of wanting to sneeze. Claritin and Zyrtec don't do that for me--I can't even tell I've taken anything. I've tried OTC decongestants over the last few days on top of Allegra, but it's not doing anything. Maybe a prescription-level decongestant will help. I was having some eye problems, too. Monday morning when I woke up my eyes were swollen shut. TB had to guide me around the house. Patanol drops and Allegra have helped my eyes. This house we just moved into had two dogs and a cat there, plus all the dust from moving...I've never been this bad!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Sunbert said:
This house we just moved into had two dogs and a cat there, plus all the dust from moving...I've never been this bad!
Man, this is a constant battle between my GF and I. She wants a dog in the house, I say hell no.

Before we ever moved in together, I said there were two things in life I was inflexible over:

1) no dogs/cats in the house
2) Provided it wasn't financially wrecking us, I would never give up any kind of riding/racing unless I chose to.

She's worked on #1 for 3 years now...and is fairly resigned to the fact it isn't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Many of the over the counter stuff is just a weaker version of the presription stuff. Check with you doctor first, but you might be able to double up on dosage for a short period.

The Allegra-D works best for me, of the current over the counter stuff.

Might need to get a professional crew into that house to eliminate the pet allergens. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
One word: Singulair

It's not a decongestant or anything like it:

Many allergy medicines work by blocking histamine. SINGULAIR is the only indoor and outdoor allergy medicine that blocks leukotrienes.

Just be prepared to pay. A 30 day supply is just under 100.00.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts