Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had a spot of bother with my blade, it seems that 9,000kms after being changed (not by me I hasten to add! ) one of my spark plugs decided to come out and has subsequently shagged the thread in the head, I've never heard of this sort of thing happening before, but anyway it's happened and I'm pretty sure I have to take the head off to get a helicoil put in. whilst I've got it stripped down that far I was thinking of putting a thinner head gasket in to get a bit more compression.

what sort of hp gains can I expect?
what are the risks involved in doing so? will the engine handle the extra compression? -it's internally standard, but has a PC on so adjustment won't be a problem.

what are my options with regards to the various gaskets I can buy?

oh and can I get the head off without taking the motor out of the bike?

anyone been down this path before? I'm keen to hear of your experiences and whether it's worth just sticking to std thickness.

thanks for your help

Ben

I have been disciplined about looking at fireblades.org at work so that's why I haven't been on here much lately

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
FWIW, the stock gasket is pretty thin already, so short of shaving the heads or something equally drastic, I don't see it happening

I've never done it, but my intuition tells me that getting the engine out is not much harder in itself than trying to get just the head off, so you should drop the engine out anyways to make getting to the head much easier.

Waiting for the experts to chime in...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Your goung to have to make sure you maintain clearance between the pistons and valves, and install degreeable cab sprockets so you can re-degree the cams, which will be off if you lower the head. But it can be done, i think LTL milled .020' or so off his head, and degreed in morowaki cams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts