Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
EVen if it is true, it never said the transmission wasn't allowed, just that they couldn't make changes to it that that type of tranny allows. My interpretation. Anyway, isn't the 'Dual Stage Fuel Injection' basically the extra set of injectors that the susukis have been running. They are not on the stock bike, but are on the race bikes. Doesn't sound w/in AMA rules to me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote It has a six-speed cassette type transmission, which Honda press materials says 'is easily accessible for rapid gear ratio changes and maintenance at racetrack,' just in time for AMA Superbike rules that don't allow that type of tranmission changes anymore.

I read that to say that the new AMA rules don't allow transmission changes, which is why a cassett type transmission is so advantageous. You can adjust your gearing without changing your transmission.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Every GP bike has had the cassette gearbox since the early 80s.  What the AMA rules state, is that you aren't allowed to change the stock ratios, not that you can't race a bike with that capability (although any bike can have the internal ratios changed if you're willing to pay the freight).  I guess if the AMA Superbike series were the only series on the planet, this would be a waste of engineering/time/money/development etc., but since they are only one national series among 12 or so, and we haven't seen the same restrictions in WSB or World Endurance then it may be an excellent move on Honda's part.

By bringing this type of system to sportbikes, you can bet that Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki will have similar systems very shortly if it proves to be of value.

·
Registered
144 Posts
coeff : Quote (sprint @ Sep. 24 2003, 7:22am)You can adjust your gearing without changing your transmission.
Do you mean: You can adjust your gearing without splitting the engine cases. ?
Yes, you just unbolt and drop the cassette out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts