Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, got a traffic infringement the other day for going thru an Amber light. Have tried to contest it but was told in writing by another police officer that it is actually illegal to run an Amber light???? Have been driving/riding for over 20 years and have never heard of this? Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey, got a traffic infringement the other day for going thru an Amber light. Have tried to contest it but was told in writing by another police officer that it is actually illegal to run an Amber light???? Have been driving/riding for over 20 years and have never heard of this? Can anyone confirm or deny if this is correct?

Of course it's illegal.
Amber means stop if possible.
It does not mean stop if you feel like it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's the same everywhere.

Amber does NOT mean "the light's about to go red in a second".

It DOES mean "stop unless it's unsafe to do so" (eg, there's a car close behind you, you're too close to the light to stop before the line).

The timing of the light is set to the speed limit of the road, so going over the speed limit potentially puts you in an awkward situation if the light changes as you're approaching (not saying you were speeding, just adding to the comment).

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It's the same everywhere.

Amber does NOT mean "the light's about to go red in a second".

It DOES mean "stop unless it's unsafe to do so" (eg, there's a car close behind you, you're too close to the light to stop before the line).

The timing of the light is set to the speed limit of the road, so going over the speed limit potentially puts you in an awkward situation if the light changes as you're approaching (not saying you were speeding, just adding to the comment).

On group rides I often see comments about determining what to do at amber lights, do we go through or do we stop. This does not need to be discussed before the ride. We all have licences, we all know the road rules - so we stop on amber. Morons on group rides that open the throttle on an amber light risk killing those ahead of them that do the right thing by stopping.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Coupled with the fact that just because the first few bikes can make it, doesn't mean everyone can. I typically work off the rule that if everyone can't do it, than no-one should.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Intersections are a very likely place to have an accident. The flow of traffic is disrupted and people unwittingly or intentionally make bad decisions.
That said, I'm going against the developing grain just a little bit.
In my state, which uses photo-enforcement at some intersections, if your front tire (or tires) is across the white line of the intersection while the light is still yellow, you're ok. Even if the light turns red at the instant that your tires are completely across the line and into the intersection, you will get no ticket.
In the event you get stopped by Police in the same scenerio, then it's your word against his. Unless you happen to have your go-pro on and it shows indisputably that your tire was across the line before it turned red.

Our lights stay yellow for a good 3 or 4 seconds in the busier intersections. When I'm driving my work van, loaded down with weight, I sensibly use this knowledge to determine whether or not to come to a nose diving stop. Because like everyone here, occasionally I might be going 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit of 45, 50, or 65 mph. (You rarely, if ever, get stopped if you don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10mph)

When I'm riding my bike, I'm extra obedient about stopping at traffic signals. Cops watch for sportbikes even more than cars in my area, plus I like to set a good example for the cagers about us sportbike riders.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Intersections are a very likely place to have an accident. The flow of traffic is disrupted and people unwittingly or intentionally make bad decisions.
That said, I'm going against the developing grain just a little bit.
In my state, which uses photo-enforcement at some intersections, if your front tire (or tires) is across the white line of the intersection while the light is still yellow, you're ok. Even if the light turns red at the instant that your tires are completely across the line and into the intersection, you will get no ticket.
In the event you get stopped by Police in the same scenerio, then it's your word against his. Unless you happen to have your go-pro on and it shows indisputably that your tire was across the line before it turned red.

Our lights stay yellow for a good 3 or 4 seconds in the busier intersections. When I'm driving my work van, loaded down with weight, I sensibly use this knowledge to determine whether or not to come to a nose diving stop. Because like everyone here, occasionally I might be going 5 to 10 mph over the posted limit of 45, 50, or 65 mph. (You rarely, if ever, get stopped if you don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10mph)

When I'm riding my bike, I'm extra obedient about stopping at traffic signals. Cops watch for sportbikes even more than cars in my area, plus I like to set a good example for the cagers about us sportbike riders.

It sounds like you are in complete agreement with us then John.
Amber means stop if you can.
Our red light cameras take two shots so they can calculate your speed. If the reason you can't stop is because you were speeding you can expect a ticket. I can't really see the relevance of whether your front tyres are over the line or not - is that actually stated in the law?
A lot of our traffic lights also have speed cameras built into them so it's always a good idea to approach them at the speed limit even when they're green.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I got one of these 5 years ago, and it is a very legitimate ticket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts