Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've heard that Honda sportbikes have barely adequate charging systems. My question is in comparison to what.

I know they aren't the same as Gold Wings. But why should they be? We in our particular mo'sickle subculture don't run ghetto blasters, air compressors, electric arctic gear,  microwave devices, vibrators, et al, off our bikes.

I will sit down and calculate draw, etc, and figger this out for myself based on what I'm thinking of doing, of course. Once I get the draw figures for the things I'd like to use the bike's system to power (a Valentine one and a Midland handheld CB).

But I would also like to ask the general question of what are you successfully running in the way of add-on devices that are powered by your bike's electrics?

Also..when I come in for a ride and put the bike on the Battery Tender, it indicates the battery as being less than 80% charged. Within maybe a 10 or 15 or so the 80% (green) light comes on and a few minutes after that the Tender shows 100% charge. Does this sound like acceptable battery/charging system behaviour to you?

TIA as usual and Much Obliged for your time.

Bushrod

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I use an E-vest with no problems at all. It draws about 3.5A which I'm sure is more than both of your accessories combined. Joel uses an e-vest and e-grips...easily over 5A between the two.

10 or 15 seconds? Minutes? My Battery Tender acts the same way (in seconds) hooked up to any good battery.

I don't think you've got any problems. Go for it.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
V1 and a CB? That's like 10W, when the you're transmitting and have the alarm at full blast, or about 1W when both are in stand-by... insignificant. I think one of the running lights needs as much all the time.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Whats your voltage at with all devices on at say 5K rpms??

I know the 929 made 420 Watts (or something like that) of juice at 4K rpm... So expect idling or low RPM operation to be fairly bad and a load it can't keep up with...

Back to my point, get a voltmeter and put it on your bike... (like a cheap radio shack model that can be mounted permanently) While riding, what is your voltage with no accesories vs. what it is with accesories? Take these measurements at speed, like normal riding... If its a big V drop, then your load is likely a bit higher than optimal and the charging system is struggling... If the V is okay, the charging system is most likely handling it just fine...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
2OHOH2954 : V1 and a CB? That's like 10W, when the you're transmitting and have the alarm at full blast, or about 1W when both are in stand-by... insignificant. I think one of the running lights needs as much all the time.
And the ECU...

·
Registered
576 Posts
BushrodW : so I've heard that Honda sportbikes have barely adequate charging systems. My question is in comparison to what.
Where did you hear this about Honda sportbikes? I used to have a '75 CB550 four, and that bike had a barely adequate (more like almost adequate) charging system.

I've never heard anyone level that kind of charge (pun intended) on Honda.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Sep. 23 2003, 4:10pm)V1 and a CB? That's like 10W, when the you're transmitting and have the alarm at full blast, or about 1W when both are in stand-by... insignificant. I think one of the running lights needs as much all the time.
And the ECU...  
and the friggin kilowatt (JK) fuel pump. I believe everything but the high beam pales in comparison to this bit of excess baggage . . .

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joel : Quote (BushrodW @ Sep. 23 2003, 12:29pm)so I've heard that Honda sportbikes have barely adequate charging systems. My question is in comparison to what.
Where did you hear this about Honda sportbikes?  I used to have a '75 CB550 four, and that bike had a barely adequate (more like almost adequate) charging system.

I've never heard anyone level that kind of charge (pun intended) on Honda.
I heard it kind of thru the rumor mill. You know....the proverbial 'they' said it.

bW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts