Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running the Castrol R4 (5w40 ) ,thinking my bike will hopefully shift a little smoother,and run cooler, switching to the Amsoil 20w50 . Anyone prefer this weight of oil over the lighter weight synthetics out there ? I'm here in Florida, so i'm not running it in 20 degree temps ,so no worries of 'cold start up ' friction problems normally associated

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Amsoil is good oil, one of the best IMHO. However, your Blade calls for 10w40, I'd stick with that. Typically, 20w50 is for air-cooled V-Twins.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hondgal, i used to run the cheap Castrol 20w50 dino oil in my Zx10 with no problems. Just wondering if my 929 will shift better with the heavier/superior 'synthetic' ? Not really worried about the weight, it's hot as a mofo here in FL in spring/summer, so the oil viscosity get's like water almost .I'm new to Amsoil ,so i'm hoping the " hype " about it will actually help with it shifting /cooler running like they claim . I know alot of companies hype their products up a little too much

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
True, the 20w50 won't hurt anything at the temps by you, I'm up here where it's colder, and my twin with 20w50 won't start unless it's warm enough. :) I noticed slightly better shifting with my 929 when I switched to full synth. I use Amsoil. Nothing super dramatic, though. Mine's running cooler, but that's due to the water/water wetter combo more than the oil. Or so it seems to me. I think any good synth will help. A lot of guys swear by the Motul 300V. I just can't readily find it around here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, the 20w50 won't hurt anything at the temps by you, I'm up here where it's colder, and my twin with 20w50 won't start unless it's warm enough. :) I noticed slightly better shifting with my 929 when I switched to full synth. I use Amsoil. Nothing super dramatic, though. Mine's running cooler, but that's due to the water/water wetter combo more than the oil. Or so it seems to me. I think any good synth will help. A lot of guys swear by the Motul 300V. I just can't readily find it around here.

Gotcha, i wouldn't run it in cold weather.Grabbed some up when it was on sale a month ago for my next oil change !

·
Registered
336 Posts
Currently running the Castrol R4 (5w40 ) ,thinking my bike will hopefully shift a little smoother,and run cooler, switching to the Amsoil 20w50 . Anyone prefer this weight of oil over the lighter weight synthetics out there ? I'm here in Florida, so i'm not running it in 20 degree temps ,so no worries of 'cold start up ' friction problems normally associated

Its prefectly fine to run a 15w50 or 20w50.....if you look in your owners manual it even has a temp chart with 20w50 and 10w40 weights and temp deg when to use them....

for 20w50 I believe that the lowest temp they recommend running the oil in is like 40-50 degress F. (I will have to look for exact number) I don't think it harldy ever goes below 50 deg here in FL during the day, and if it does I am sure as hell not riding.....:nono:

The thicker oil helps oil break down in high temps...and here in FL especially during summer months its 95 deg plus and 95-100% hummity.

I run Motul 5100 15w50 in 929 and I also ran it in my 954 previously....NEVER had any problems and wouldn't change to 10w40 unless I lived somewhere where it wasn't so humid and hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts