Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track yesterday for the first time on my F2. It was my 2nd open day, no school or anything, just ride. To date I have been very fast among my peers, otherwise known as slow to anyone with any expereince. The CR's do 1:12's all day. I had the 954 there last time and had a best lap of 1:21.80, but felt I wasn't learning much smoking people on the straights and bought the F2. Before lunch I ran a 1:21.60, beating what I did on the 954 and I was happy with my progress. I was starting to pick off liter bikes on the back straight. I was running consistent times after lunch but had a mishap when going into the sweeper onto the front straight I dragged the peg and bent the shift lever which lifted the rear tire and almost sent me flying. The CR's told me to get off the bike more and one followed me next session. He noticed I was countersteering and then moving off the bike. Next session I followed him and started moving off after braking before corner entry. I felt even smoother and continued to work on that. By the last session I had a ton of confidence, knew the track and was going faster than I ever have in my short career. I entered the track behing the fast guys that passed me on the first 2 sessions and planned to stay with them . They were let out in the first group and I was the 1st in the second group out. After a warm up lap they were ahead by the length of the back straight. I picked up my pace and caught the Duc at the exit of the back straight on the next lap going by in later on the brakes. I set him up at the double apex and got him in the next turn. i knew he was behing me and I could see the other 2 riders ahead so I pushed too hard in the same turn that I almost crashed in earlier and lost the front. I was off the bike, on a good line, and I think with too much throttle and BAM I was down in a split second. I slid a long way , the bike slid on it's left until it hit the grass then flipped on it's right and slid some more. I jumped right up, ran over and closed the gas cap that flew open, gave a thumbs up and said hello to the Ducati rider that parked next to my fallen F2. I picked up the bike myself, pushed it onto pit row, started it and rode to the paddock. It's a Honda.

I learned more than ever before, what to do and what not to do. I performed better than I thought and left smiling. After all my 954 is still in the garage. The F2 needs a few brackets bent back into place. I have spare bodywork and a clip on to repair the other damage. There isn't a mark on the frame, swingarm, forks, wheels and I'll be ready for next Friday.

Most importantly, how do you get mud out of leathers?

Bill

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
That's the beauty of a trackbike! Glad you're not hurt.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. So what do you think caused the front to let go?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it was all rider. Too much throttle, poor technique or a little of both. I did do 70 laps on it and it was it's 3rd day. I just remembered that the previous owner did 2 days on the front and 1 on the rear when I bought it so it isn't in great shape. Maybe if it was new I wouldn't have crashed but that's in the past...

There really is a lot of mud everywhere though!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have done 3 days on a set of tires so tires may have been a small factor but that probably wasn't the only reason you crashed. Todays tires can take a lot of abuse and keep on going. Maybe you have some more getting off the bike to do to compensate for the extreme lean hangle (hard to say really unless I was there to witness it). The Duc rider might have some more input for you though.

FYI, I tend to get off the bike first, then brake, then turn in. If you get off the bike a bit when braking then I feel it is easier for me to use my legs and gut to hold up my weight rather than my hands. Plus it forces me to keep a light grip on the bars when braking.

·
Registered
469 Posts
 And as you get faster the line between releasing the brakes and tipping in will start to blur and blend together and using that moment to get off the bike is just one more thing to upset the chassis.

PS -- Also glad you're unscathed. If you're gonna go you might as well fall off the side closest to the ground.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the bike is back together and ready for next Friday. I'm bringing along someone to videotape me in the faster corners so I can see what I'm doing wrong. I think I was too aggressive, I always try to be second fastest so I can learn from the fastest guy in the group. In hindsight, 4th is probably just as good a place to learn.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts