Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
at the end of the day, the police had a responsibility to the citizens' safety only. And that's that. I'm sure they didn't enjoy killing such beautiful killing machines. 18 bengal tigers alone. That's just nuts. But if just one of those animals was able to harm one person because they had to pussyfoot around with a tranq gun, the lawsuit would cost millions of taxpayer dollars that nobody can afford.

My question is, this guy was losing his house, why was there not a plan to take the animals as it is? Better yet, why the **** was he allowed to have them all? I mean, I'd love to have a tiger, but 18? WTF is wrong with him? And what a selfish asshole for letting them out when he killed himself. He had to have know the mayhem that many exotic predators would cause. It's a miracle people weren't hurt or killed in it

·
Registered
156 Posts
People putting animal rights above human rights.. That is the problem! They will pay thousands of dolars to save a cat, but won't even look at a homeless person!

Could you just imagine if one of those tiger found is way to a schoolyard??
Do you even want to imagine if 2 or 3 got there??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed - I have witnessed first hand what some of these animals can do. The police did the right thing, and nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
im jealous ****ing straight up big game hunting for free they didnt even have to pay for a license
lol, gotta disagree there. Shooting animals that were born/raised/kept in captivity with AR15s isn't close to big game hunting.
Gun hoo Americans raise your hands, oh you have :(
yup. I paid more for one of my guns than I did for my 954. If I sold my collection, I could buy probably about 8 or so more 954s. It's hardly relevant though when you're talking about the largest land predators on earth set free in an urban setting. I do not condone the poaching of endangered species. I also don't blame wild animals for eating people that come onto their territory. These animals were an unfortunate victim of circumstance. They were a very real threat to the town and needed to be dealt with ASAP. What would you have them do? Let's say hypothetically, they miraculously came across 50 sharpshooters that all happen to have their own super tranquilizer dart guns (let's not forget we're talking about 500lb wild cats) and they all scored takedowns. Now what?

yes, gung-ho. I am damn proud of my rights. You don't see me bashing on your society for considering plaid skirts masculine

·
Registered
101 Posts
but still sounds like a blast but why didnt they just use tranquilizers???? hmmmm maybe cuz it would be more fun to use high powered assault rifles instead. could you imagine how long it has been since they had a chance to shoot one of those guns they are just all standing in a row untouched screaming at them why they pass by em "shoot me, shoot me, shooooooooooooOOOOooot mee!" it was just an excuse to shoot em sh*t they live in utah for crying out loud can you say boring as state going through financial problems like every other state. IRONY!

lol, gotta disagree there. Shooting animals that were born/raised/kept in captivity with AR15s isn't close to big game hunting.

yup. I paid more for one of my guns than I did for my 954. If I sold my collection, I could buy probably about 8 or so more 954s. It's hardly relevant though when you're talking about the largest land predators on earth set free in an urban setting. I do not condone the poaching of endangered species. I also don't blame wild animals for eating people that come onto their territory. These animals were an unfortunate victim of circumstance. They were a very real threat to the town and needed to be dealt with ASAP. What would you have them do? Let's say hypothetically, they miraculously came across 50 sharpshooters that all happen to have their own super tranquilizer dart guns (let's not forget we're talking about 500lb wild cats) and they all scored takedowns. Now what?

yes, gung-ho. I am damn proud of my rights. You don't see me bashing on your society for considering plaid skirts masculine

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Agreed - I have witnessed first hand what some of these animals can do. The police did the right thing, and nobody was hurt.
:plus1:My nephew worked at a Tourist animal park a while back, where a female lion mauled her litter for no reason. It looked as though the cubs would have to be all put down but being very young and kitten like the ones that looked like they would survive were taken home by some of the employees to raise untill something could be sorted out, also illegal I might add.
Normally they acted like kittens but we saw the wild side at feeding time when my nephew forgot protocal when the cub knocked its bowl over and Steve reached in to right it. The kitten like cub mauled his hand in the wink of an eye so I shudder to think what would have happened with full grown animals loose in suburbia.
I think, considering the circumstances the right thing was done.:twocents:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
but still sounds like a blast but why didnt they just use tranquilizers???? hmmmm maybe cuz it would be more fun to use high powered assault rifles instead. could you imagine how long it has been since they had a chance to shoot one of those guns they are just all standing in a row untouched screaming at them why they pass by em "shoot me, shoot me, shooooooooooooOOOOooot mee!" it was just an excuse to shoot em sh*t they live in utah for crying out loud can you say boring as state going through financial problems like every other state. IRONY!
lol, I'm pretty sure "fun" isn't something they take into consideration with the handling of escaped wild animals. That just so happen to be the most dangerous wild animals on land

·
Registered
7,455 Posts

:plus1:
I've been around guns since i was 11 years old. Got my first .22 pistol at 12. Took hunters safety before I was allowed to shoot anything. Guns are a lot of fun! Very demanding of responsibility, but just good fun. And a very real tool for many who do hunt and eat their kill. Like me. I've killed and eaten venison, rabbit, pheasant, etc. It's not about the kill. It's about a very primitive need to survive. You can kill it yourself, or let smeone do it for you, but pretty much everyone eats something that has to be killed first. That's nature. aka, the food chain.

All that said, I think the slaughter was needless. If you can shoot an animal, you can tranquelize it too. and ship it to the wild. Where they belong. Better back out in the food chain of nature than rotting in the ground.

My position is with Setanta on this one.

o yes they do shooting a gun is fun shooting a gun at a wild animal awesome:patriot:
There was one monkey unaccounted for: We just found him :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I love you man, in a bud-light sort of way! Cheers chewakalaka! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
:plus1:
I've been around guns since i was 11 years old. Got my first .22 pistol at 12. Took hunters safety before I was allowed to shoot anything. Guns are a lot of fun! Very demanding of responsibility, but just good fun. And a very real tool for many who do hunt and eat their kill. Like me. I've killed and eaten venison, rabbit, pheasant, etc. It's not about the kill. It's about a very primitive need to survive. You can kill it yourself, or let smeone do it for you, but pretty much everyone eats something that has to be killed first. That's nature. aka, the food chain.

All that said, I think the slaughter was needless. If you can shoot an animal, you can tranquelize it too. and ship it to the wild. Where they belong. Better back out in the food chain of nature than rotting in the ground.

My position is with Setanta on this one.
Do you have any idea the cost? Fed, State and local governments are all in a real tight spot. Jobs are being cut left and right. That's food on the table for multiple state employees. And then just assuming you can afford it. Then you need to have the proper equipment to tranq dozens of the most efficient killers on the planet. Then, assuming you have the proper equipment, and the funding, you need to have the manpower to track and tranq these dozens of very large, very vicious animals that have ALL had a history of eating humans. Now, assuming you have the money, the tools, and the manpower to track and tranquilize these animals, you need to do it all before somebody gets hurt. I know that big cats have been known to identify hunters shooting at them and attack them. A tranq is not a bullet, it isn't instant effect, you can hit a 500-lb bengal tiger with a tranq and it will still keep enough consciousness to kill you before it goes to sleep. On top of all of these risks, there's the chance that the animals escape the area and get to some unsuspecting people. Killing them off was the logical thing to do

and for the record, I donate at the local wildlife zoos that have preserves in Africa. I absolutely love big cats and have the utmost respect for them. It is a sad situation for sure. It is not the police officers' fault. They did their job, they protected the public. 99% of the blame falls on the homeowner, with the last 1% falling on the legislators for allowing this situation to take place

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Don't confuse wild animals with captive human fed dangerous animals. There would be no releasing these things into the wild and not expect them to seek out humans.

As for shooting them it made me sick to see that pile of dead tigers but that is not nearly as bad as seeing a live one crunching a little girls skull in a playground with a dart hanging on its ass would be. Tranquilizers are not nearly as reliable as a bullet. They only have a fraction of the range and are not a sure thing that they will work if they do make contact. Even biologists darting animals still bring a firearm in case crap hits the fan. What a tragedy but I feel the right thing was done.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Do you have any idea the cost? Fed, State and local governments are all in a real tight spot. Jobs are being cut left and right. That's food on the table for multiple state employees. And then just assuming you can afford it. Then you need to have the proper equipment to tranq dozens of the most efficient killers on the planet. Then, assuming you have the proper equipment, and the funding, you need to have the manpower to track and tranq these dozens of very large, very vicious animals that have ALL had a history of eating humans. Now, assuming you have the money, the tools, and the manpower to track and tranquilize these animals, you need to do it all before somebody gets hurt. I know that big cats have been known to identify hunters shooting at them and attack them. A tranq is not a bullet, it isn't instant effect, you can hit a 500-lb bengal tiger with a tranq and it will still keep enough consciousness to kill you before it goes to sleep. On top of all of these risks, there's the chance that the animals escape the area and get to some unsuspecting people. Killing them off was the logical thing to do

and for the record, I donate at the local wildlife zoos that have preserves in Africa. I absolutely love big cats and have the utmost respect for them. It is a sad situation for sure. It is not the police officers' fault. They did their job, they protected the public. 99% of the blame falls on the homeowner, with the last 1% falling on the legislators for allowing this situation to take place
You make many good points. The most obvious one being the cost. Someone has to make a decision as to how much money and resources are required for an extreme emergency like this. What a collosol mud missle that guy was for collecting and then unleashing all those animals. Too bad Janet Reno wasn't still in position to do something about that. :rotfl: Remember Waco?

Anyway, my position comes from growing up on a farm. Actually a cattle ranch in northwest Montana and also in Missouri during my high school years. It didn't cost money to get sh*t done. If someone had an emergency, he just had to call to his neighbors and most would drop everything and come help. No cost to anyone. Except whoever had the emergency.
If this happened, when and where I grew up, the outcome, admitedly, would be the same. Back then, shoot first, ask questions later. But now, in the interest of everyone in the community, and the animals too, some may need to be killed, some are better tranquelized and shipped to the wilds. By volunteers.
And I'm not buying that delayed reaction theory. Tranquilzers can knock down an elephant in just a few seconds. It's next to instantanious if the shot hits the right spot on the animal.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
what about when something like this happens. Especially considering the sheer number of these predators let loose

NWBackwoods also makes an excellent point. They wouldn't make it in the wild if they pulled off that slim chance of tranq/transporting them

1 - 20 of 35 Posts