Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a minor oil leak which yields around 4-5 drips from the drain plug bolt after a ride. I believe it is from the drain bolt, because the oil is always accumulated on the drain plug itself, and i've checked several times, and I don't believe there is another source.

the engine oil was overfilled, but i took care of that yesterday and took it for a ride, but it still dripped 4-5 drops.

I replaced the crush washer also, but didn't have a torque wrench so I did what several guys recommended and just "snugged" the bolt.

So, if we say it isn't the crush washer, could it be the drain plug bolt itself? When I drained the oil yesterday, I inspected the bolt itself, and it looked pretty healthy. There were bits of silicone or something that looked like thin strips of sealant in the oil which settled to the bottom of the drained oil, which makes me think that maybe someone tried using some sealant on the threads to prevent leaking?

should i just go ahead and replace the drain plug as well?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Simple things first - get a new bolt and crush washer. Install, then go from there. It's not supposed to be mega tight, but perhaps your definition of "snug" isn't quite enough?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts

I'd inspect the threads of the oil pan. Your smartphone works really good as an inspection tool. Put it in camera mode and scan the area. Your'e going to laugh, but I first got the idea on a news report that suggested people use their smartphone to look for bedbugs in their furniture!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple things first - get a new bolt and crush washer. Install, then go from there. It's not supposed to be mega tight, but perhaps your definition of "snug" isn't quite enough?
Yeah I'm working on it right now.

Sky and Jondog, here's a pic of my old drain plug in comparison to the new one. The old one had some silicone-ish stuff on it, making me think the last guy was trying to stop a leak? Also, the washer that I first took off which was installed by him was destroyed, looking as if it was tightened with 100lb/ft of torque lol. Maybe that damaged the bolt itself?

[/IMG]

The old plug doesn't look too bad, but maybe there is some subtle damage to it. :huh:

the threads on the oil pan look good from what I can tell. they didn't look stripped.

My dad is recommending that I put silicone on the new bolt again, but I keep telling him that it SHOULDN'T be needed.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
No - don't put silicone on it. It shouldn't need it at all. Throw the new bolt on and go for a ride :D

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
haha...i've never even thought of that...this is embarrassing :rotfl:

I just put the plug back on and got the oil back in....and it started raining. :thumbd:
Holy crap - you're talking about the weather, right? :hmm:

The threads aren't what do the sealing. Think of a garden hose, without the washer, it leaks. The burden of sealing the oil inside the oil-pan is all in the crushwasher, the shoulder of the bolt, and the shoulder of the plug recepticle in the oil pan.

Question for old-timer wrench turners: Would it be ok to put a neat wrap or two of teflon-tape on the threads of the plug? Or Anti-Seize? I'm thinking the zinc in the Anti-seize could help with sealing the threads for a little extra insurance. :idunno:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap - you're talking about the weather, right? :hmm:

The threads aren't what do the sealing. Think of a garden hose, without the washer, it leaks. The burden of sealing the oil inside the oil-pan is all in the crushwasher, the shoulder of the bolt, and the shoulder of the plug recepticle in the oil pan.

Question for old-timer wrench turners: Would it be ok to put a neat wrap or two of teflon-tape on the threads of the plug? Or Anti-Seize? I'm thinking the zinc in the Anti-seize could help with sealing the threads for a little extra insurance. :idunno:
haha yeah I was talking about the weather. As in i fixed the bike up and was ready to take it for a ride.

I have a disappointing update to make, though.. I haven't even taken the bike out for a ride yet, since replacing the crush washer and drain bolt..and I find this oil here..

[/IMG]

So, it's not on the bolt itself, it's on that lip thing, which I assume is to protect the bolt from debris and stuff? I already wiped that off once, thinking it was some excess oil from draining...but it accumulated again. I want to hit my head against a wall. This is so frustrating!

-Looking at the oil pan from the fairing side, and from as far as I can possibly squeeze my head underneath the bike, I haven't been able to locate any oil that is leaking anywhere. I haven't been able to get a look at the oil pan from the exhaust side, though..maybe that's where all of my problems lie?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/IMG]

I have this really thin silicone "tape" or whatever it is, which my dad was recommending I use just for added security. But now I'm questioning if the oil is even coming from the drain plug... :confused:

·
Registered
596 Posts
i wouldn't use silcone tape, it shouldn't be necessary. i would begin looking at other places, higher up, for leaks. any oil around where the pan meets the block? how about from the stator cover or where the wires come out, or clutch cover, or any other side cover?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just had it for a short, 10 min ride. There is a lot less oil, almost an unnoticeable amount seems to be like seeping onto that area. maybe it's still residiual oil from SOMEwhere. idk. could the fact that it was overfilled with oil for the past week have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wouldn't use silcone tape, it shouldn't be necessary. i would begin looking at other places, higher up, for leaks. any oil around where the pan meets the block? how about from the stator cover or where the wires come out, or clutch cover, or any other side cover?
nope there really is no oil anywhere, which is the beautiful thing about Honda's :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i took some photos.
Here's a shot of the oil pan taken at the best of my abilites. (stator side).
[/IMG]

and here's the oil pan (pretty crap photo and hard to tell), exhaust is on the right side, and the drain plug is right below the photo, it's just out of shot
[/IMG]

Even if there is some oil leaking from the oil pan over on the stator side, I don't know how it could be trickling down all the way and accumulating on that lip in front of the bolt.

That wetness and sludge that you see in the first photo, I feel that a lot of it is chain lube, which overdid 3 days ago

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it really was overtorqued by the previous owner......I hate to say it, but the pan itself could have a hairline crack.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it really was overtorqued by the previous owner......I hate to say it, but the pan itself could have a hairline crack.
I don't think it was overtorqued, as I didn't have any problem removing the bolt. The oil accumulates on the exhaust side of that little protective metal lip first, so I don't think there's any way a hairkine crack from and overtorqued bolt woukd cause oil to accumulate there.

If I can't figure out an easy fix for this, I'm just going to ignore it and let it be because it's minor.

My next order of business is getting a rear wheel stand so I can adjust the chain

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maybe some accumulated crud on the oil pan's mating surface, that can't be seen because its upside down?

I would be surprised if oil would run from the seal of the drain plug onto that lip instead of just down off the bolt itself. So I'd start looking higher up.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Give everything a GOOD clean with degreaser - get it as spotless as possible. It makes tracking down leaks etc a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts