Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crap:
Well thanks for taking the time to open the thread, it's been some time since I have posted last..I Have an 02 954 and currently have a Micron bolt on exhaust. I personally find it harsh sounding at high RPM's and not quite the smooth, clean sound I was searching for. I've owned 2 Micon Sepent systems and they didnt sound a thing like the bolt on. I don't know if its the 954 that has a harsh exhaust note at high rpm's or is it the brand exhaust I have? The two serpents were on a 929.

Anyone have any experience with the following brands that I am interested in? Yosh ( tri oval), Ixil, Scorpion, Jardine?

What I am in search for is a bolt on or 1/2 system that sounds clean and not to loud, matches the color scheme of my sil/blk 54 and , if at all possible add's a lil power in the top end. I'm really not interested in forking out 1200.00 for a full system as I dont race, or use the bike for anything other than screwin around on the weekends with friends.

Or, should I just shut up and live with what I got ? :idunno:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/cornfedwhitey/0295411.jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
I haven't heard a Micron on a 954, but on other bikes it was definitely a pretty loud can.

The Akro bolt-on on the 954 is really mellow sounding at lower rpm. It sounds tougher than stock, but people can't even really hear me pull up to their houses. It will scream--just like the rest of 'em--at high rpm. I would say that it definitely sounds "smooth and clean" just like you are looking for.
:thumb:

Edit: The CF Akro looks really great with the silver/black 954 too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have a 2 Brothers C4 on a full system and like the sound - shreiks at high rpm but under about 7000 has a nice throaty purr - not objectionable at all

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
It's all up to your opinion and if sound is that important to you; if it were me, I would leave the one you have on it, not like you will notice any performance difference by swapping out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you ever noticed that you can take ,say, three identical cans one carbon, one one aluminum, and one titanium and they will will all sound different. seems to me the material with the lower harmonics gives a richer more mellow tone while the harder materials will give you a harsher more staccatto sound. Performance difference = zero as the flow is only minutely affected by the different resonant frequencies of the materials.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For a half-system:

Yoshi, Arrow or Laser (Leo Vince is too loud!)

Scorpion end cans also give the type of sound you're looking for

·
Registered
20 Posts
A 954 newbie here, and I can't offer the full comparison you're looking for.

A good friend of mine has a Micron on his 29. I think it sounds very good at low revs, and screams when pushed. I think it's a great sound.

I just picked up my 54 with a Yosh can on Thursday. It has much more of a low rumble and doesn't scream as much as the Micron when in the upper RPMs. If that is what you are looking for, then the Yosh may fit the bill.

I'm like the guys above, there is somehting about Akra that gives me a chubby though - they look and sound great.

·
Registered
511 Posts
just shell out the extra bucks and get a full sysytem off fleabay for $500-$700

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just shell out the extra bucks and get a full sysytem off fleabay for $500-$700

I will pay pal you $20.00 if you can find me a new full Micron Serpent or Yosh , etc for a couple hundred more than the $343.00 slip on I have. The cheapest Micron I can find is about $950.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same bike with a full system Yosh setup and the sound is great. It's not over the top irritating. But because you removing the valving and stock manifold with a full system your more likely to get a different sound then a slip-on. I say it's your bike and you want it to look and sound the way you want. So, drop the cash because you get what you pay for, and you won't have any regrets after about settling for something you really didn't like.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts