Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the flapper valve on my 929 today. I didn't remove the cable from the air box, just left it in. Was this a bad idea? I don't see how it will affect anything. Anyone have an opinion??

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
this is a good thing for reverting. Only the weight of the remaining stuff is a factoid....

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Why remove the flapper? I just pinned it as he explained in the KB article. Seems reversal would be easier that way.

In any case, the intake honk sure is purdy with the airbox opened up! It along with my Akra make for a waaay sexy sound when spankin' my 954!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
he said spank!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2000 929. I don't have the same air box as the 954, I don't think! anyway I took the dam thing out. With the full Hindle,pc111, dan kyle forks, Ohlin shock, last but not least, no flapper. Its a whole different bike, and I love it.
Thanks for the help guys. Couldn't have done this without ALL your help.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Chain : Why remove the flapper? I just pinned it as he explained in the KB article. Seems reversal would be easier that way.

In any case, the intake honk sure is purdy with the airbox opened up! It along with my Akra make for a waaay sexy sound when spankin' my 954!
You can't just pin the flapper on a 929 - different airbox design.

As for leaving the cable, I don't think it's going to make any difference. I took the cable out, but that was only because I put a full system on and didn't want a cable swinging free for no reason, was easy enough to put it all back together.

Z...

·
Registered
120 Posts
You bet your ass you can pin the flapper on the 929. I just took a small sheet metal screw and fastened the valve to the bottom of the box! I got that great airbox noise and with my other mods a slight increase in midrange power was noticed.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
fusion929rr : You bet your ass you can pin the flapper on the 929. I just took a small sheet metal screw and fastened the valve to the bottom of the box! I got that great airbox noise and with my other mods a slight increase in midrange power was noticed.
OK, that can be done, I just didn't want to start screwing things into my airbox

Ont he 954 though, there is a rubber section that you can pin the flapper under without any sort of screwing..

Z...

·
Registered
27 Posts
can i pull this valve on my 929 with just a slip on? I recently have gotten the egr code on my 929..guess that would be the code for my exhaust valve. Any walkthroughs on how to do it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would have thought pinning the flapper down could damage the servo because it would always be trying to open the valve.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Aussie929, there is no feedback from the flapper telling the ecu whether it's open or closed, just the pot driven off the servo confirming it turned. Plus the flapper is spring returned so the cable is free to move w/o binding and loading the servo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
new member to this site but always my favorite. took the flapper out of my 929 and noticed alittle more in the midrange and a big improvement in the way the bike sounded. my friend also has a 929 and mine is much stronger. i know all bikes are different so any performance gain is a plus for what is already a great bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chain : Why remove the flapper? I just pinned it as he explained in the KB article. Seems reversal would be easier that way.

Chain,

What is the reason for disabling the flapper.  
Only for sound or will it affect performance?

Should I also do this?
My bike is standard only a bolt-on Akra.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
black blade : new member to this site but always my favorite. took the flapper out of my 929 and noticed alittle more in the midrange and a big improvement in the way the bike sounded. my friend also has a 929 and mine is much stronger. i know all bikes are different so any performance gain is a plus for what is already a great bike.
to the org.

·
Registered
21 Posts
puggy : Quote (Chain @ May 17 2003, 10:22am)Why remove the flapper? I just pinned it as he explained in the KB article. Seems reversal would be easier that way.

Chain,

What is the reason for disabling the flapper.  
Only for sound or will it affect performance?

Should I also do this?
My bike is standard only a bolt-on Akra.
more air in = more power

1 - 18 of 18 Posts