Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

STREET RIDING & YOUR BACK PROTECTOR USAGE

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waddups docs??!! I am contemplating of putting on order a bohn defender backprotector (sweet deal bohnarmor.com)

I have been surfin on ebay the past few weeks on back protectors on ebay and notice folks get rid of them quite frequently for whatever reason... :idunno:

I figure that other than your gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots, a back protector should be a standard use item when riding...though pricey. Some models looking too hot for summer, look to bulky, or look uncomfortable for day to day commuting/joy riding. The nicer models are a pretty penny!!! :eek:

So now I am wondering those who have invested in a back protector, how many of yall actually use it as often as you should...this is for street riding applications.

-Bored @ work-

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
On the track I wear it all the time. I should on the street. My Aerostich has one in it, but it's not real substantial. This year I plan on wearing the Knox that I use on the track for street riding as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tough to answer this one. I bought a full-on hardshell for track days, but my textile cycleport Ultra II jacket that I always wear has a plastic/foam laminate one built in. The jacket is great for four seasons riding and has lots of the same type of armor in other places, but the back protector is not in the same league as the full-on race units. I've tried taking out the jacket's bp and wearing the full-on underneath, but that doesn't work well.

As much as I like the UltraII, it isn't quite as cool as a full mesh in the high heat, and since it is longer, the extra bulk of the length and all those pockets can be a drag at times. This year I'm planning to go with a short jacket in air mesh kevlar from cycleport to match the pants I got last year. The pants are great, btw. It's got a zip-together option as well.

Fwiw,
Dan

·
Registered
622 Posts
The foam protectors that come in jackets aren't going to protect you all that well. I removed mine and tossed then from my jackets. I use my Dianese back protector when ever I ride, Street or Track.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I use mine for any kind of sport riding that I do (impact armor back protector), but I do use the back protector that came with my Astars jacket when riding to work :idunno:

·
Registered
819 Posts
On track always, sporting rides always. On rides to work maybe 50% of the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Besides short trips to the store, ALWAYS. It doesn't take much to cripple you if you go down and that little extra bit of protection is well worth it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts