Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I awoke to frost on my windshield this morning
So, I'm thinking I'd better get antifreeze back into my bike soon. Right now I have distilled water/water wetter.
Would it be ok to drain out about half of the water/water wetter mix, then refill with straight antifreeze? I figure that'll give me approximately a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water + water wetter. Is this ok, or do I need to drain and flush the system again?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
According to what I remember reading on WW's label, etc., it's fine to mix, just that the WW's effectiveness is reduced when antifreeze is used in the mix.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I need to get a/f into my bike too. It's in my attached garage and doesn't get real cold, but better safe than sorry!

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Good timing on the post. I need to drain out the W/W in my bike too...especially since the night temps are now getting down close to freezing. HG, if you're going to drain your system, why not drain it completely and fill it with antifreeze anyways? I'm still trying to figure out whether to drain and fill with Honda coolant or drain and fill with Engine Ice. The Engine Ice is supposed to be good to -26F and I wouldn't have to change it in the spring to put W/W back in. Anybody else use EI? My biggest concern is with the anti-freezing properties.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Red Rider, I'm interested in your findings if you wouldn't mind posting what you find. I'm going to take a look around too.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
as said, its fin to mix. if your lazy , like me, you already have a cooling system of distilled water, suck half of it out through the radiator cap with a turkey baster or large syringe, and pour back half of your cooling systems worth of straight antifreeze. I forget the amount, but it was about the whole radiators worth.

Mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
I currently use Engine Ice.  I haven't seen any problems.  Temps seem to be about the same as before.  I've done two track days and the EI kept everything cool during hard use.  

Biggest pain I remember about putting engine ice in is making sure that all the antifreeze was flushed out.  I used two gallons of distilled water to make sure all the antifreeze was flushed out.  I'm not sure what the effect of Water Wetter would have on the Engine Ice.

Bob

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Northy : I currently use Engine Ice.  I haven't seen any problems.  Temps seem to be about the same as before.  I've done two track days and the EI kept everything cool during hard use.  

Biggest pain I remember about putting engine ice in is making sure that all the antifreeze was flushed out.  I used two gallons of distilled water to make sure all the antifreeze was flushed out.  I'm not sure what the effect of Water Wetter would have on the Engine Ice.

Bob
Northy, how is Engine Ice for preventing freezing? Is your bike stored outside (unheated) during the winter? I've heard the EI works fine as far as keeping your motor cool, but I'm more concerned about it's antfreeze capability.

HG2, I'll let you know what I find out. Everyone I've talked to has said EI is an approved substitute for coolant on the track. Sure would be nice if I didn't have to drain the system twice a year like I do now with coolant.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up some Honda Antifreeze coolant stuff today. Looks like I've got to completely drain my water wetter, though, because the Honda stuff is already premixed 50/50. I hate that! I didn't want to just get regular antifreeze, because I seem to recall something about aluminum engines and silicants. For future reference, is there a brand of antifreeze that's safe for our bikes?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Wierd, my honda coolent is straight, not premixed. Reguardless, any coolent that is silica free and suitable for aluminum engines is fine. Its pretty comman now days with so many automotive motors and/or heads being aluminum.

·
Registered
102 Posts
To drain/change the coolant in the 929/954, you should drain it from the 'block' . It is a tiny bolt over the coolant tank. The caviat is to make sure that you have the tiny little copper washer when you re-install the bolt. Honda reccommends draining the block first to reduce the air bubble issue. It is also quicker then having to mess with the radiator.
Also--do use the Honda coolant, either the pre-mixed or non mixed. The silicates will eat your engine from the inside out.
Sugoi8

·
Registered
559 Posts
Red Rider : Bob
Northy, how is Engine Ice for preventing freezing?  Is your bike stored outside (unheated) during the winter?  I've heard the EI works fine as far as keeping your motor cool, but I'm more concerned about it's antfreeze capability.[/quote]
According to the label on the back, 'Freeze-up protection to -26F'. I store my bike in the basement so not really a factor. But in case I decide to get it out on one of our 'warm' days this winter, I won't have to worry about it freezing.

Bob

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
been running WW as an additive in AF since the blade was new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts