Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Any 1st time track day attendees from this past weekend?

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  slickwill 
#1 ·
What are some thoughts and/or feelings, from anyone who has recently attended their first track day experience?

#7 ·
Have you ever been to Grattan? There's an annual 3 day event there put on by another .org that is an excellent opportunity for first timers to the track. This year's dates are 6/30, 7/1, 7/2. Definitely a good time with good people...

#5 ·
You are not far from Gingerman Raceway. Its located in South Haven. From the entrance of the track, go 5 miles west and you are on the beach, on Lake Michigan, in South Haven. Its a 2 mile road course, 11 turns. Google for a schedule and find out when they are having track days. I have not been there for a few years. I know CCS use to race there. WERA does have 1 race weekend there this summer. That is about 3 hours from me.

#9 ·
A group of people that used to frequent this site started an annual event at Grattan. They mostly migrated to a new site and have continued the annual tradition. If you raced GLRRA, I'm sure you probably know the person who organizes it. PM me for more details if you're interested.

FYI, the Grattan website doesn't post any of the private track days, and even fewer of the public ones. Sportbike Tracktime, Apex2Apex, as well as a few others, all run numerous track days there.

EDIT: <<< If you look close enough, you'll see those little green emblems under my avatar are the Grattan logo with each year noted for attending the event.

#11 ·
Red Rider,
Yes, I do recognize the Grattan logo now! Is your avatar pic the right hander after the jump? I will PM you for details! I really miss the GLRRA days! Those were some great times! Great people, great racing! Like one big family! I was always told that if you could ride well at Grattan, you could ride well anywhere. Its a great track! I was there with NESBA back in Oct., and they had paved half the track. Do you know it they paved the rest of it? If so, I cant imagine what the track record will end up being after this season!

#12 ·
My avatar was taken in T1 back in 2006. I haven't been back since they repaved, but I don't think they've finished paving the rest of the track yet. Grattan is truly unique because offers a little bit of everything...long straight, off camber turns, sweepers, hairpin..and especially the jump. You're right about being able to ride anywhere if you can ride Grattan! Let me know if you're interested in the 3 day event and I'll fill you in on the details. :thumb:

#13 ·
Yes, I am very interested in the 3-day event. Please send me details. Thank you in advance! Looking forward to it already! At the WERA events held there, I hardly see any of the old GLRRA-ites! My brother and I often talk of those days. He started racing there a few years before I did.

#16 ·
About $170 a day... but from the looks of it this event is the best bang for the buck. It wont be as crowded as all the other track clubs. Plenty of track time. You're local so it should be more affordable for you. (Unlike us east coasters) If I were you I'd definitely try at least 2 days.

PM RedRider for details.

#24 ·
just change out the coolant to water and ride the bike there. there's plenty of people to help get it ready.

Grattan is an awesome track! Long straight, elevation changes, every type of turn! Who doesnt love the blind off camber, turn 3? LOL The straight gives you a chance to rest, but to run good times, you have to WORK from turn 1 to turn 10b!

The real fun is running Grattan backwards! Thoughts or comments for those that have done this???

backwards was when I mowed the lawn at the end of the straight. after riding the previous 2.5 days the regular way it was really weird to go backwards but still fun.

#23 ·
Grattan is an awesome track! Long straight, elevation changes, every type of turn! Who doesnt love the blind off camber, turn 3? LOL The straight gives you a chance to rest, but to run good times, you have to WORK from turn 1 to turn 10b!

The real fun is running Grattan backwards! Thoughts or comments for those that have done this???

#26 ·
Going backwards does pose a few run-off issues, but its like learning a new track! You get sooo much more air going over the jump in the wrong direction!

CBR929RE,
As long as you only mowed the grass and didnt take a dip in that pond down there, all is good! By the way, for those that like to fish as well as ride, that pond on the left, after you cross over the straight into the pit area, has a few 5 to 7lbs large mouth bass and a few 30+ inch pike in it! I know this first hand! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.