Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my new plastics arrived the other day. I'm a lil nervous about installing them myself. I checked with the local Honda shop they said $200.00 minimum to install them. So I'm gonna do it myself. I have had the tail section, tank cover and side fairings off with no problems in the past. How much more difficult is it to remove + install the upper headlight cowl, front and lower fairings? Anyone have advice for when I do this or anything I should be aware of? Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to mention its an 07 1000rr sorry

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have the right size allen wrench and take your time. $200 is absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah I thought 200 was high. He said it would probably be more than that cuz of my frame sliders, flush mount signals and led's getting in the way.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have the same job ahead of me although I have had all my body work off already. Took the cowl off once just to get at the turn signal flasher and replace it with an electronic one.

The service manual really comes in handy for the stuff that isn't obvious. Be prepaired to spend a whole afternoon or more doing this job because there may be some fitment issues with the new body work.

That's likely why you were quoted $200.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if its an after mkt one enjoy.

it will take a while and patience is the key.

what ever you do don't force anything

if its OE one then it should be quite easy:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was listed as having "OEM fitment" so I will test how true that is. The customer service is great. There were three very tiny scratches in the paint on the tank cover. The only reason I noticed them was I was super inspecting the fairings. I notified the guy I bought the parts through. I was expecting him to say "ship it to me at your expense then I will send a re-placement." If that were the case I woulda just buffed them out and not been to pressed about the issue. But the guy said send me a picture of the damage. As soon as he received the pic he replied and said "I will have a new tank cover sent to you in a couple weeks." I asked him what I should do with the one I have and he said "keep it as a spare". Super Awesome.

The guy I asked about installing them worked was at a Honda dealership. The only reasons I called there was I need my 8,000 mile service soon and figured they might cut me a break and do it cheaper than normal. Also I have gone to a couple of motorcycle mechanics in the past with my Suzuki cruiser and they were not very gentle. They would get the job done but sometimes they would lose a bolt cover or put tiny scratches in the chrome. I don't want to risk my body work with quality like that just to save a few bucks. I believe I can do It myself. I do need a service manual for it so I guess I should invest in that instead of dealership work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts