Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

Could I live with a standard cab Tacoma (I'm 6'3"/215 pounds)?

What sort of fuel mileage do you get from your 2.7L 5-spd?

Thanks,

Chain

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I used to sell Toyotas... SOld a Tacoma to my buddy, who is 6' about 220 lbs. He fits fine. In the Tacoma you don't sit as upright as in a domestic full-size. It's more of a car-like seating position, and plenty roomy for leggy types. You might find it a bit narrow though.

What happened to burning out your chebby?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm still wrestling with the options. Can't decide if I want to keep plugging away for another 15 months at $386 a month (on a truck that will need tires, brakes and shocks in the next six months) or trade down to something more economical (both in terms of payment and fuel efficiency).

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Question why a truck? A small truck is fine for delivery etc. But a poor tow vehicle and I am not sure how well they would take a Busa in the back. Just wondering.

EDIT: Assuming you can do the work yourself. Brakes both ends under 100. Shocks about 100-150 depending on setup and quality. Tires 3-500. Now these are guesses but that is about 700ish or 2 payments to have a paid for truck. Soundsl like you have low mileage and you can buy a boatload of gas for 380 dollars.

Further as an alternative keep the truck and at the end of 15 months make 380 payments to the bank account and in 24 months you have almost 10K to put down on a new car (mileage vehicle) and still have a paid for truck (hauler/beater).

The only wildcard is I am not familiar with how long cars last there do to differences in roads and weather.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the nudge sheep (you too, phobe, off-list). I did some thumbnail calculations and it looks like I'd save a whopping $30-40 a month on fuel were I to trade a 15mpg Chevy for a 21mpg Toyota. And you're right, the $386 a month saved once the truck is paid free and clear will buy alot of whatever it is I want at the time.

I should pay you guys $75 an hour for this sort of thing. Invaluable therapy! :cheers:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Same thing I said before still goes... if you're buying a used vehicle you don't know what you might have to put into it. If you do go this route, look for a certified used truck. As far as hauling your 'busa a small toyota will not struggle at all. 2.7l motor is very torquey (each combustion chamber is 675 cc's, and I believe it's an undersquare "stroker") and the truck you're describing weighs barely more than 3000 lbs.

Do I recommend Toyota trucks? Yep, all fuckin day. Are you going to save a bunch of money? I can't really say for sure. I guess that depends how much equity you have when you get out of your chev.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Chain said:
Thanks for the nudge sheep (you too, phobe, off-list). I did some thumbnail calculations and it looks like I'd save a whopping $30-40 a month on fuel were I to trade a 15mpg Chevy for a 21mpg Toyota. And you're right, the $386 a month saved once the truck is paid free and clear will buy alot of whatever it is I want at the time.

I should pay you guys $75 an hour for this sort of thing. Invaluable therapy! :cheers:

I know from experience, once you've talked yourself into getting a new vehicle (motorcycles included) it's pretty tough to talk yourself out of it.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
phobiaphobe said:
I guess that depends how much equity you have when you get out of your chev.
Probably five grand walking out of the dealership...

But again, summer '06, about a year after I move into the new house, it's bought and paid for.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Chain said:

Buzz wrong answer! When you get it paid off keep a monthly car budget going. When the truck needs service you have cash for it and no stress. The excess can then build as a down payment for the next vehicle. Again more (all) cash which saves you interest.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant you can "buy alot of savings" with that payment. We're in agreement, my wooly friend. ;)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Chain said:
Were I to get one, it'd be a lease on a bare bones, 2.7L 4x4 w/5-spd manual, a 2005.
Dude, wait. The hybrids that can pull, and get much better MPG than the current offerings are on the way, soon. It's worth the wait. I think I'm finally old enough, not to keep swapping shit out, due to the financial hit you take. It's like crack though, and finally I'm able to control my problem :smilebig:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts