Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you do, are you using OEM calipers/rotors (or anything else that's 320MM for that matter)? I am having a hell of a time fitting Marchesinis with existing set-up. The 1/4" less clearance means I have to take the rotors off the wheel to make them fit, not exactly something you want to do trackside everytime you need rubber.

:crap:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. Why would you have to take off the rotors? Did you mean calipers?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I loosen rotor bolts (6) to be able to move away from hub to fit caliper over disk. Only then could caliper be mounted to fork.

If I don't go through above steps angle of brake pad to slip over the disk is too steep. Caliper doesn't clear inside edge of the rim by maybe 1/8".

:confused:

Any clue?

'no-engineer' Frank.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Ah yeah, OK.

It is a tight fit with any caliper, and I dunno if the stock calipers will work.

The only experience I have on 16.5" front wheels are on a Gixxer, with 320's with both the stock Tokico calipers and Brembo radial monoblocs. Both would fit but, just barely. The stock 929 rotor is actually a 330, and while 5mm isn't much, it may be what's holding you up. Bummer dude. The best advice I can give you is to just keep playing with it and see if you can make it work. Don't force it though, don't wanna bend a rotor!

PS we got some 305's (I think) and they were much easier to work with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LTL

Where did you get 305mm? What brand....did you justify smaller rotor by using Brembo mono block (yummy)?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Heh. Well, that wasn't on my bike. It was on a well built bike of my friend's, Ohlins Superbike forks and the like. Wasn't much to justify, it was a big $ bike, with sponsors paying for a lot of it.

It is easier to change rotor size with radial brakes. But you can change without them. you will need brackets to relocate your calipers if you do. We were using Brembo rotors.

On my bike (17" front) I had PVM radial brakes bolted on Ohlins forks with 320mm full floating Brembo rotors. Here's a pic, 3rd bike down (can you find the .org sticker? :) ):
http://www.ema-usa.com/gallery_2.shtml

1 - 7 of 7 Posts