Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently doing track days with my 929 and thinking about club racing it and was wondering if anyone who has club raced their 929 had any feedback? Main concern is how the bike sizes up to current superbikes/club racers.

Obviously a decade yields vast improvements over technology but I'm assuming the skill of the average club racer isn't outriding the bikes abilities. Please note I'm not looking for a laundry list of tech/spec differences between the 929 and 1000rr.

Thank you,
Rock929

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I was hoping some folks were gonna jump in here and talk about their track bikes.

I raced mine but I'm not currently.
It's not the ideal tool for the job but it's quite capable.
Biggest let down is the poor aerodynamics so at faster circuits the newer 600's and 1000's walk away on the fast straights.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Biggest let down is the poor aerodynamics so at faster circuits the newer 600's and 1000's walk away on the fast straights.
Maybe there is no longer much of a market for it, but it's too bad someone isn't making more aerodynamic race plastics for this bike.
Bladeracer, what are you racing now, I mean aside from your spontaneous combustible Gsxr? :D

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Maybe there is no longer much of a market for it, but it's too bad someone isn't making more aerodynamic race plastics for this bike.
Bladeracer, what are you racing now, I mean aside from your spontaneous combustible Gsxr? :D

Most race regulations require the fairings to be "visually indistinguishable" from the OEM stuff so that's probably not going to happen. AirTech is perhaps the company that tries to push the limits there.
A good start would probably be to fit a more current fairing from something else.
Just the old GSXR for now, although I am also looking at dragging one of my "modern" bikes back out, either the 929 or the GSXR1000. Get to do twice as many races that way :)
Going to have to fit an onboard fire extinguisher system to the GSXR I think :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bladeracer for the reply, did not think that aerodynamics played that big of a role on the newer bikes.

Anyone else Club Race their 929 or even 954?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks bladeracer for the reply, did not think that aerodynamics played that big of a role on the newer bikes.

Anyone else Club Race their 929 or even 954?

The aero package is very important and far cheaper to improve than trying to make enough horsepower to make any difference in top speed.
Up to around 200kph my 929 runs about even with the more modern bikes, after that though they really pull away, even the 600's. My 929 only weighs 163kg without fuel though (19kg lighter than the stock road bike), which probably helps (she's 160kg with mag rear wheel).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The aero package is very important and far cheaper to improve than trying to make enough horsepower to make any difference in top speed.
Up to around 200kph my 929 runs about even with the more modern bikes, after that though they really pull away, even the 600's. My 929 only weighs 163kg without fuel though (19kg lighter than the stock road bike), which probably helps (she's 160kg with mag rear wheel).
Bladeracer have you seen other fairings fitted to the 929 before? I can't imagine there is much you could do with the lower fairing maybe narrow it up a bit but I guess fitting a more aero upper would be beneficial. Did you ever experiment with different windscreens on the stock fairing?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wasn't racing the 929 but I had her as my primary track bike when I was control riding for the NESBA track day group. That 929 handled better than any other bike I had under me while turning hot laps (and I had student's offer me rides on every bike out there).

The Akrapovic full system and full dyno tune with power commander had it out pulling anything short of a fully race prepped 1000cc (R1, GSXR, etc.) Stock 1000s were easy prey.

I miss that bike.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

1 - 14 of 14 Posts