Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing the wiseco 980 kit as we speak... looking for others, more info is always better...??? go big or go home!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a 945cc kit on my 900RR with 39mm Keihin flatslides. I got 153.6 at the wheel. I know of another guy who did a 973 kit on his 900RR and with 41mm flatslides, managed to pull 160 at the wheel.

Make sure that you put stronger rods in there, as well bigger valves and cams if possible. Have a look at lighening and balancing the crank and lightening the flywheel too.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Sime

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are you going to strengthen the bottom end too?
i spoke quite extensively with the rep at wiseco, (who could have increased his sale by selling me the additional parts) and he assures me that although that would be optimal it is not necessary. he also said this kit is considered a "drop-in" kit and it would run on pump gas. only requires power commander and dyno. also spoke with my machinist/drag racing friend who has done more extreme work on bikes and he seems to agree. all depends on what rpms and gas mileage i want to run.i did however, replace all bearings and slightly larger oil jets.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I enjoyed looking at the pics of that one guy, Scheps, 929 engine build. Gave me some insight. It almost looked like two engine rebuilds going on there in his photo album? One set of pistons mounted to a brand new set of H-beam rods with used, but well cleaned pistons. The other engine build with brand new pistons? The guy has attention to detail - looking at all the work he did to that engine and bike.

I did see some cylinder head work he could have done. It's probably likely cost was a factor and that's why the head remained stock or mostly stock.

The easy, or relatively easy, work he could have done that would have been nearly no cost would have been to polish the combustion chamber on the cylinder heads, especially the webs between the valve seats and the spark plug hole. Would have eliminated hot spots and made for more efficient combustion. Gotta be real careful when doing that though because if you nick a valve seat you would have to replace the seat, and can't take out too much metal meterial either. But I do like what he did to the rest of the engine, very nice :)

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Sime, what are you're engine specs? Cam Specs too? Looking at the 900rr head from Erion someone took the time to have that head lapped/milled on the main sealing surface. That seems like a good idea for a used head.. making sure it's 110% flat.

If you guys will post up known sources for performance engine parts for the 900/929/954/1000RR/RC51

I know of only a few sites and will try to look them up and post back.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sime, what are you're engine specs? Cam Specs too? Looking at the 900rr head from Erion someone took the time to have that head lapped/milled on the main sealing surface. That seems like a good idea for a used head.. making sure it's 110% flat.
My motor was already built and in the bike when I bought it, so I don't have too much info, only the receipt which doesn't list the specs.

It has:

Cosworth forged pistons with a 2mm overbore
Ferrea S/S 1mm oversized valves
Head work (not sure what)
Lightened and balanced crank
Erion Racing 'Endurance' cams
Titanium Rods
39mm Keihin Flatslide carbs
Undercut transmission gears 2 through 6.

It was built by 'Racebikes' in Wyoming MI in 1998. Considering that he shop is still in business today, they must be doing something right!

Cheers,
Sime

1 - 14 of 14 Posts