Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chewing a freakin' can a day for almost 16 years now. I quit smoking and drinking some years ago but can't quite kick this nasty habit.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yuck, quit if you can. You won't get lung cancer like you would from smoking, but you could get mouth/throat cancer. Plus, no offense, it's disgusting. When I was little my Dad chewed while driving and would spit out the window. My seat was behind his. Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
When I was little my Dad chewed while driving and would spit out the window. My seat was behind his. Need I say more?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks Gal. I needed a laugh this morning.

No offense Dog, but I'll agree with GalToo, it's a freekin' pretty disgusting habit. I've been at business meetings down south and at dart tournaments where people are going around spitting into paper or styrofoam cups with paper towels stuffed in the bottom. :puke:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I grew up in LA, and didn't encounter anybody that chew'd or dipped until I became a Marine. Since you can't smoke in the field, you gotta get a fix somehow.

I am glad I never picked it up.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I used to work in a rehab hospital...seeing people smoking while on a vent (pull the air tube out of their neck, insert cigarette) and people with lips and tongues gone due to smoking was all the convincing I'd need to quit.

A friend of mine chewed for many years until he got a small lump in his throat at 31 and had to go in for a biopsy. He had 2 little girls and decided he wanted to see them grow up so he quit. He's quit and restarted several times...seems tough to quit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ConqSoft said:
I hear that accidentally taking a huge drink from your spit-cup helps the quitting process...
Having come from a farming family in Ohio and oing straight into the Marine Corps, chewing was just a common thing. I've been cutting it down to half a can at best on some days and just want to be done with it.

Can't tell you how many times I've picked up other people's spit and started chugging, thinking it was my own coke can. A partner at work mine twice in the past!

Yep, goes down warm!!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My buddy was most successful stepping it down....Cope, Skoal Bandits to the mint chew to off. The cravings lessened but didn't quit even after a few years.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Guilty as charged, a can of Copenhagen a day for the last 15 years, except for those times when I was "trying" to quit, or stepped down to Skoal or Skoal Bandits for short periods. With the price of a can of snuff at almost $5, it's the cost of the habit that ...wait a minute, gotta grab a dip ... okay back now ... that (sic) has me wanting to quit almost as bad as the risk of cancer. My mom died of lung cancer last year, you'd think I would've gotten the message by now.

The few times that I have tried to quit cold turkey over the last couple of years, man, I was a crazed madman after just a few hours of not having any, headaches, anger, the shakes, you name it. Whenever I have tried to taper back, before you know it, I'm back to my usual intake without even realizing it.

EVERYTHING in my daily routine can be associated with getting a dip of snuff, I unconsciously make my activities revolve around it. Gonna sit down at the computer at home, gotta get a dip first. Gonna go to the bathroom, gotta get a dip. Gonna run an errand, get a dip....the list goes on and on. :rant:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
ND4SPD said:
Tell the wife to quit the nookie 'til you stop :idunno:
ND4, you're 22 and obviously not married. I have 25 years in this year and I can't spell nukky any more. Remember, wedding cake is the absolute worst detriment to a woman's sex drive.

Pete, my mother said it best when she said "I hope it was good 'cause that's gonna be one expensive God Damned piece of ass".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts