Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the weekend from hell in the garage. Among the pile of dead tools is my 2 month old, high speed/low drag ball bearing, adjustable speed, replaceable brush bla bla dremel.

I was doing some sanding with rolls and had been taking breaks. The case was barely warm to the touch the whole time. I'm sanding away when all of a sudden there sparks, fire and tons of smoke pouring out of the thing! Now, this basically ruined my chance of finishing my project and killed my Sunday, which really pissed me off.

Anyone had a Dremel die?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Re: Anyone Had a Dremel Burn up?

I backed off when I smelled the motor starting to overheat a little. Let it cool itself off under no load, then went at it again. Seemed to handle that fine but I wasn't pushing too hard either. Using it to cut, not sand. :idunno:

-Shrub

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
799 Posts

GhostRider said:
I want to get a Dermel for Xmas...now I'm not so sure. :hmm:
Get it, I've had the same one for 10 years without any problems.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts

I have had no less than 4 bite the dust (literally) over the past 5 or so years. I now use an air driven die grinder as the cost (and the heat) were getting to be a bit much. Please note, I have never been "nice" to grinders and I cut a lot of fiberglass and CF, so they get quite a bit of abrasive dust . . .

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah, I posted a while back about a compressor but basically decided since I may be moving in the next few months to hold off. I bought the dremel to "get by" and at most have done 2-3 hours of grinding.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts

I've never had a problem with mine but then again it's not the same model as the one you had/have. I've cleaned up two bikes worth of corroded aluminum during restoration projects without a hitch.

I've found my Dremel to be quite a handy little tool but I do have heavier die grinders for larger jobs.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

cbr99xx said:
I've never had a problem with mine but then again it's not the same model as the one you had/have. I've cleaned up two bikes worth of corroded aluminum during restoration projects without a hitch.

I've found my Dremel to be quite a handy little tool but I do have heavier die grinders for larger jobs.

why you wont be able to street them - the coppahs will be waiting :smilebig:

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts

bubba said:
why you wont be able to street them - the coppahs will be waiting :smilebig:
Those bikes are long gone...

Now... go play in the snow and leave me alone. :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

I bought the Sears craftsman version with the flex hose. I have used up one flex shaft. It has gotten a little loud over time but still works. I have used it to port a few 2 stroke cylinders.

The sparks and smoke thing reminds me of my dads Ryobi saber saw. I was cutting down a small hedge and then fireworks. I know I know....but the Chainsaw needed to be sharpened.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

abtech said:
I have had no less than 4 bite the dust (literally) over the past 5 or so years. I now use an air driven die grinder as the cost (and the heat) were getting to be a bit much. Please note, I have never been "nice" to grinders and I cut a lot of fiberglass and CF, so they get quite a bit of abrasive dust . . .
come on you of all people should know a dremel isn't for large projects. air driven tools are awesome. more power is always better right

·
Registered
3,203 Posts

I agree with the air die grinders, if you have a decent compressor. Even the cheap $30 POS's will give you alot of use and abuse. My $200+ dollar Snap on 90 degree 1/4" diegrinder has been back for warranty ($60 a pop) twice in the span my $48 chinese set (90 deg and straight) lasted, with more hours on them. The straight one is still going 4 years later of daily use.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts

Yeah LTL, I hav to ask what "getting by" means with a Dremel :D I have a die grinder and work on car/bikes with it...but the dremel comes out typically at the same time as the 5" ruler and magnifying lamp. So..you working on model R.R. landscaping or something ;)

I've had 3 dremels corded, the one I have now is the last version of the one you have (w/digital speed control, and it has a LED collar on it) and its fine. Though admittedly it hasn't seen much time. The previous one was a manual control (variable-slider) unit with a flex hose. The flex deal was getting beat up inside but the tool itself was awesome after 5-6 years of use. It actually worked good enough for a guy at work to steal it from me...if thats any indication. First one I had was awesome, worked 2-3 years with no issues then I accidentally 'hid' it in a trashcan I had filled with parts I was working on when it started raining. The dremel and 1/2 my car interior were then MIA when my uncle through he was doing me a favor when he came by to borrow the lawnmower and took out the heavy trashcan.

Cordless:
I have (2) 9.6v niMh(?) units right now, one lives in the rollaway and the other in my field box...had em both for 2-3 years and they're fine, except for one is a little loud. My old 4.8v lasted a long time until I decided to help it with more juice so I could cut thicker CF with it. That was the only dremel that had the same problem as you described above.

((Just trying to help the dremelculture stay alive, those things are awesome...unless you live near a Black and Decker outlet and can get their rotary tools for the $9.99 refurb price anytime you wish :D) ))

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

A poor design feature of the Dremel tools is that you're nearly always covering the vent ports while using it.

·
Registered
476 Posts

I use Dremel's for everything. I go through a 50 pack of cutoff wheels a week and use roto zip bits in it all the time. They do heat up and need a break, so I always have 2 and rotate them. I've had one burn out in 6 years and one of htem is noisy as hell. I don't consider it a power tool, more of a disposable, like hole saws, spreaders etc.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

SomeStrangeGuy said:
Yeah LTL, I hav to ask what "getting by" means with a Dremel :D I have a die grinder and work on car/bikes with it...but the dremel comes out typically at the same time as the 5" ruler and magnifying lamp. So..you working on model R.R. landscaping or something ;)
This was an easy application. A sanding roll in a bushing hole to clean up the rubber residue from the bushings I'd just drilled out. I had the speed on 8 (of 10) and I don't wear gloves so if I cover the vent with my hand I'll feel it.

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts