Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My wife's last car was a V6 Accord. I realize they are stellar cars and there is no disputing the Japanese Refinement Machine or the reliability that results at the prodcution line. I just think the current variant is, well, a bit bland.

The new for '06 Passat appears to be an Audi A4 for five to seven grand less. The 2.0T is a 200 hp turbo four that punts the car along at sub-7 second 0-60 times and the level of fit and finish appears well ahead of the Japs.

However, it is true, the reliability of the German cars isn't as good as the cars Honda et al produce, but it's getting better (at least according to JD Powers and similar sources).

Anyway, what's your specific beef with VW, Phobe?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
VW in general:

Reputation of dealer only service visits due to special tools (super expensive visits), electrical problems up the :moon: ....

Nice cars to drive under warranty as long as they give you a loaner/rental when your car is in the shop

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
You couldn't give me one of those. Play it safe, get an Accord.

240hp V6 6-speed:eyebrows:
:wstupid: ( damn, that smilies is right on the money this time....)

My brother had one A4, trade it in for a Passat after 2 years, he was sick of the dealership attitude..... but the car was the main problem in my opinion, why would you need to spend so much time at the dealership with a brand new car.... anyway, The passat is the same, he spend too much time at the stealer. All small things (mainly electrical) but still big lost of time.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I did an extensive demo of a new '06 Passat 2.0T last night. I came away impressed.

The fit and finish, precise switchgear, perfect alignment of body panels, taught ride, torquey turbo motor w/ no perceptible lag, depth and gloss of the paint, etc. were all noteworthy.

The car's interior is really well put together and the overall design is, well, highly refined and obviously European.

The 280 hp 3.6L AWD Sport model is the one to die for. A truly kick ass leather interior with deeply bolstered seats (which appear lifted straight out of a Porche Carrera) is superb... add in 17" wheels, navigation, satellite radio, roof, yadda yadda, and you've got yourself one trick looking high performance, luxury sport sedan.

Despite the fact the Passat feels like the proverbial bank vault and is loaded with cool standard features (even at the 2.0T trim level as sampled), I'm a little nervous about some of the feedback ref. reliability and maintenance.

While I feel that even a mid-grade Passat holds a little more panache than the ubiquitous CamCords you see everyplace you look, I have experienced what it's like to own a "character filled vehicle" (my Monster S4 Senna). I'm not sure the reliability trade off is worth it.

Sidebar: Maybe the Lexus IS350 would be the best of both worlds, flash + Jap reliability, though they seem to be commanding close to 40K here in the Omaha market. Ick.

I'm going to have to test a few more cars. I've got the luxury of time on my side. I just have to decide on how to list the Ram. Perhaps autotrader.com

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ND4SPD said:
2005 Dodge Ram
Low miles, incredibly clean, 6 different cat-back exhaust systems(less than 500 miles total on them) included at no extra charge.
:nono:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I drove the Passat and left impressed with the room, fit and finish. My wife and I then went next door to Subaru and i had to drag her in to test drive the Legacy Gt ltd. 10 minutes later I'm signing something. She liked the LGT more than the IS250AWD that I was sure i was buying her! My only issue is I wish it had better brakes, but compared to my car most others feel that way.

Bill

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Hey Chain, how's it hangin'? That said/asked, here's one more anti-Passat vote. My former SO in Tucson bought a new one in '99, and albeit that was then, it was pretty much a total piece of shit. I can't remember all of the problems but it was in at least 5-6 times in the first three years. Problems ranged from window molding/trim glue letting go to a leaky camshaft seal. All were covered by warranty but like someone said, why go through that with a brand new vehicle. :thumbd: Get one of these instead, for the name alone if nothing else. :p http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_geneva/0503_ferrari_f430/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts