Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a couple of silly, indulgent upgrades for the 954. Was checking out the Xenon HID kit for my low-beam from www.xenondepot.com - anyone installed these?

Also, I've always fancied those blue gauges from www.bluegauges.com with the illumiglow faceplate and conversion of dash LEDs from orange to blue. How fast is the turnaround from these guys? I'm hoping I can send this out priority overnight and get the gauge back by the weekend. Is the work high-quality?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did blue leds and illumiglo reverse tach.. guy was top notch! Excellent work and service.. I cant tell you how many guys at night pull over with me and ask where did I get that cluster at.. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timeBOMB said:
I did blue leds and illumiglo reverse tach.. guy was top notch! Excellent work and service.. I cant tell you how many guys at night pull over with me and ask where did I get that cluster at.. :D

Cool - just sent my cluster to him for blue leds and the reverse illumiglo.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Higher Kelvin is more blue. It is not a measure of brightness, only color wavelength.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have High and low on my CBR XX, they are 5800K. Don't get anything over 6000K. It's just too blue looking. Over 8000K starts to look violet and then purple :supergay:
Now I put some HIDs on my truck, they are 4700K. Gotta love the brightness!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've done a lot of reading on this subject in the past few days, but haven't yet bought the kit, so this is purely from a secondary source.....

The only proper HID bulbs worth having are made by Phillips and Osram. Those companies only make 4700k bulbs. These are the pure white units that you find on Lexus, BMW, Audi etc. In fact, on all OEM HID units. If you buy any that has a higher color temperature you're getting inferior quality units from inferior manufacturers. Also, blue light is higher energy than white or yellow and will fatigue your eyes more quickly.

What people are often looking for is that purple/blue tinge that appears to occur with these high-end cars. The source of this is actually down to refraction from the projector units used in these cars. The projectors produce very sharp edges to their light spread, and these edges appear purple as they move into and out of your eye.

If you just install an HID bulb / balast kit, you won't get the purple refraction effect or such a tight light beam since most bikes can't fit projectors in their headlight units and will rely on the existing reflective mirrors in the headlight for light dispersion. This probably doesn't matter since you buy these lights to see better at night, right? ;) If you were buying them for bling, you'd probably just go for a blue-tinted tungsten filament bulb like all those people with slammed Civics do....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have personally installed the HID kit from Zenon Depot on my 954 and I love it. The light is extremly sharp and bright. I also got the 4700 kit because I wasn't interested in the blue color I wanted the brightest light I could get. I can post pics if you are interested but it is a highly recommended upgrade from my point of view.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i put them in my high beams and the blue ones are the brightest. As you go higher they turn more purple and are not as bright. The 5k are the ones that are stock with cars that have hid's

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my gauges back from bluegauges and they're excellent! Very good service too - sent 'em Monday, they arrived back on Thursday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was thinking in some cheaper,
any experience with the PIAA Xtrime White plus? they say that with the 55w bulb you will have 100 or 110w.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
lucho said:
I was thinking in some cheaper,
any experience with the PIAA Xtrime White plus? they say that with the 55w bulb you will have 100 or 110w.
Cheers

55W is 55W, not 100 no matter what unless you are running a 6V system. :nono:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
pegleg pete said:
PIAA make awsome white bulbs,designed for motorbikes, as i hear most are for cars just repackaged as bike bulbs,so not sp durable and dont last long.i bought mine from magical racing
http://www.magicalracing.co.jp/LineUp/03cbr600rr_en.html
Never knew there was such a thing :idunno:

I always use run of the mill PIAA bulbs found at any good online car parts dealer. Had them in my seca II for 2 seasons and somewhere near 10k miles and the last part of this summer in the RC with 0 problems :thumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
nicebloke said:
Just got my gauges back from bluegauges and they're excellent! Very good service too - sent 'em Monday, they arrived back on Thursday.

Post some pics of the gauges...Thats one of my winter mods i'm doing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts