Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Depends on the distribution and kernel version. Some distros compile most of the wireless stuff as modules, so you can modprobe them into action. Some don't.

What distro are you using, and what kind of wireless card?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a custom version (called TS Linux but I thinked branched from Debian) for my PC104 board and I am using a Netgear MA111. The /dev directory had not wlan items. The boad manufacturer says they have had it working with a MA101 which is close to identical to the MA111. Of course they did not say if that was a recompiled kernal or no, just that they had used them.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Is this a MA111 USB wireless adapter? If so, it is a MA111v2? They have different chipsets inside.

In the end, you will probably have to compile a new kernel, yes.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Actually, it does screw you. The v2 has a SiS chipset which is not supported currently under the overarching linux-wlan-ng driver.

Check out the ndis-wrapper project, which will help get it going.http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

This basically will use the Windows driver and wrap an emulation layer around it so linux can use it.

If you need some help, just shout.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just to be clear about ndiswrapper... you won't have to compile a new kernel, but you will need to have the source files of the running kernel available to build against. ndiswrapper will install as a new module you can install into the running kernel.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks looks like I need to get my CF card prepped with a development version (contrary to what they said it was not loaded with one :( )

EDIT: Oops it is there on the card but wouldn't boot over :confused:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Oooooh...... very, very cool.

Good thing I read it though... you can forget about using the ndiswrapper software... that's an x86 only kludge, and it won't work on your ARM9 based TS board.

Any reason you don't want an actual wireless card attached to the PC104 bus? May be an easier way out, since it's PCI at that point.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
navydevildoc said:
Oooooh...... very, very cool.

Good thing I read it though... you can forget about using the ndiswrapper software... that's an x86 only kludge, and it won't work on your ARM9 based TS board.

Any reason you don't want an actual wireless card attached to the PC104 bus? May be an easier way out, since it's PCI at that point.
$$$ :O also I would need to find one that is a pass thru connector for my stack (probably doable) Plus I still need a driver that is ARM compatible and TS does not make one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts