Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to order some and just hunting opinions if anyone has one on vendors.

I want a variety of cuts not just burger (including a Buffalo roast)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We don't order it online. We buy it from a company called Sierra Meat for our customers. But I think they only do wholesale.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope I am sure it will be domestic (like I care :evilaugh: ). Buffalo must be somewhat natural though because by law it can't have antibiotics and hormones if my memory is correct. Plus I love bufflitos (buffalo enchalidas by sheep) and Elk :drool: Plus I want to try making a Buffalo crock pot roast :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The foodnetwork.com may have something. Try there and do a search for the Food Finds (something like that) program. I seem to recall one episode had a feature on buffalo that the ranch cuts and ships frozen. It may have been Duff's but I don't seem to remember that name mentioned.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basic cooking is easy. Crock pots and pies. The more ingredients the harder it gets. Also the more courses. People that make everything finish the same time are good. (Of course I am also chronically time challenged also :crap: )

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slow in coming but here is the review so far.

I received the Buffalo/Elk in a cooler package w/dry ice. Yes I made a smoke machine with the chunk left :eyebrows:

So far I have ate some burger and a steak. The burger was good and if I had a single gripe it is they package 6 1/3 pound burgers to a bag. Kind of a lot to eat at once for a single guy. When cooking the Buffalo reduce heat from what you would cook cow at and plan on very little grease generation. I made some Buffalo Cordon Bleu burgers (2 ham slice, 2 cheese slices, and buffalo burger) very tasty or you can make them plain.

The KC Steak is a cut similar to a Sirloin Strip in leanness and shape. However the flavor is stronger more like a Ribeye. Again cook at a longer temp than a steak. I had mine plain of the grill, however it would respond great to butter. If you are a sauce person you might like Teriyaki or possibly a fruit based sauce (Apple or Raspberry come to mind)

No review yet on the Roast, Filet or Elk burger yet :drool:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
sheepofblue said:
and if I had a single gripe it is they package 6 1/3 pound burgers to a bag. Kind of a lot to eat at once for a single guy. When cooking the Buffalo reduce heat from what you would cook cow at and plan on very little grease generation.

Can't you just pry the burgers apart with a knife, and stick some of 'em back in the freezer? :idunno: And yes, buffalo is quite lean, eh?

Congrats on finally receiving your mail order animal flesh! :clap: :cheers: :bday:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Broke into the elk burger yesterday :drool: VERY good, not as strong as Buffalo and can be cooked a bit hotter (more like hamburger) However be prepared where cow shrinks my elk burger doubled in size almost. I wold compare it to a very fine grade of cowburger in leanness and even better on flavor. Overall :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well roast experiment one is complete:

Cooked a Buffalo Arm Roast in the crock pot. A layer of about a lb of mini carrots, 2 very large potatoes (sliced), a can of beef broth, then the roast topped with a red pepper, seasoned pepper, Kitchen bouquet and worchestshire salt.

Well the roast is FABULOUSLY tasty. Not as strong as a buffalo burger more like a perfect sirlion tip (plus some) I did not add salt as buffalo is drier and normally does not respond well to salt, the next one I would very lightly salt it. The pepper in place of a normal onion worked well but the next one will have both a pepper and a red or vidalia onion. I had to add a bit off water as the roast generated little to no juices compared to a sirlion tip (almost zero roast size shrinkage). While I am normally against any sauce (beyond butter) on a good cut of meat (sauces were created by the French to hide the horrific quality of meat in medieval times) Vidalia Onion Sauce on the side to dip an occasional piece was nice. The next one either needs two cans of beef broth or some other juice besides water to get the crock up to level.

Overall I give the cut a :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :drool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts