Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I had one on a 50 km test ride alone, and 2 up. Here's my thoughts.

Comfort was second to none except for the '04 Wing I took over the same roads. Power was good, and not "lumpy" and was probably more than you'd ever need on any highways or back roads. I found it nice on turns and followed steadily but interestingly seemed tighter 2 up than on alone, (maybe not used to it, maybe suspension :idunno: ). The Bride found the pillon the most comfy of all.

Over all, I would say it was just about perfect, maybe too much so. the only reason we choose the Triumph over the ST was the $5000 difference in price tags.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Newfie TLR said:
I had one on a 50 km test ride alone, and 2 up. Here's my thoughts.

Over all, I would say it was just about perfect, maybe too much so. the only reason we choose the Triumph over the ST was the $5000 difference in price tags.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
I found a great deal on a Sprint ST last year before I bought my 954, but went with the 954 instead. It looked like a REALLY nice bike. How has reliability been?

It would be fun to have a sporty-tourer that you can go two-up touring on. My only concern is that for two-up riding, I've already got a cruiser set up for long-distance comfort (floorboards, backrest, etc..) and I doubt a sport-bike could ever come close. Would I ever really use it for 2-up? :idunno:

To go the ST route, the 954 would have to go, and I'm not sure it makes sense to have the VTX and an ST instead of the 954 and my VTX. Maybe I just need to get out and ride more. I've been window/internet shopping too many different kinds of bikes lately due to snow lol.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
ConqSoft said:
nedro did. He sold it and got a GoldWing. Search for posts that contain "ST1300", posted by nedro. He posted some reviews...
And that bastard didn't have to pay for like 10G's of it either :rant: :smilebig:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just bought one yesterday. I haven't even picked it up from the dealer yet. I post up a review when I get it! :)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The ST is not a sport bike. If you need a sport bike look elsewhere. That said; no other bike protects you from the weather like the ST will. No other bike comes with as much useable luggage space as the ST does (after buying your "Pan European" matching Top Box). It pulls power wheelies and is fast as hell for the wieght it's pulling. I suppose the VTX1800 is the long haul bike you are refering to. I can't compare the two, because they are not comparable. I can say this; When riding on the ST, you feel as if you as riding the most high tech bike on the planet. It was extremely hard to get rid of it.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
nedro said:
......I can say this; When riding on the ST, you feel as if you as riding the most high tech bike on the planet....
Yeah, especially when the bike is more or less free. :rasp:

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 ST1300 with 7500 miles so far. Great bike for long hauls; however, dump the OEM seat for something on the aftermarket. I've added the Rick Mayer seat, motorcyclarry peg lowers, turbocity fuel pressue regulator, and honda faring extenders and am very happy with just me. Would recommend a wing if you do a lot of two-up riding unless you have a small young wife.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I previously owned an ST1300 for about 6 months, put several thousand miles on it. I also have owned an ST1100 since it was new in 1993. I ride an 06 CBR1000 on the track and an 02 Gold Wing on the street - mostly 2 up with my wife, and here's my 2 cents worth. They are all great bikes, that being said - the ST family does not scratch either itch (go fast / or / be comfortable for 1 or 2 up cruising) really well for me. My wife has spent quite a bit of time on the back of the old ST1100, but now throws rocks at everything but the Wing. If I want to ride alone and really mix it up I like something sportier than the ST. If I could only have one the price is close enough together I would get the Wing - My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
THe ST1300 handles way better than it has any right to. Lots of cornering clearance, and if you dump it, it just falls onto the crash wing without so much as a scratch.

I have watched my father pass many a gixxer in the mountains on his.

Awesome bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wondered if you could explian the process of how to remove the seat from a ST1300. I feel extremely stupid as the manual is under the locked seat. I have been told that there is a lock in the vicinity of the seat, but I cannot see it for the life of me!!
Kind Regards
Phil

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wondered if you could explian the process of how to remove the seat from a ST1300. I feel extremely stupid as the manual is under the locked seat. I have been told that there is a lock in the vicinity of the seat, but I cannot see it for the life of me!!
Kind Regards
Phil
Insert the key into the locking mechanism on the left passenger grab rail. Turn the key and lift the cover. Inside there is a small silver latch. When you lift that latch, it unlocks the rear seat. Pull the rear off and then you can take off the front seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had mine for a year and it is such a joy to ride. Turn the brain off and take a mini-vacation whenever the need arises. Turn the key and have no worries. It is heavy enough to slice through the wind effortlessly and quietly. You go for hours without fatigue and arrive completely relaxed.

It is a deceivingly heavy bike and you have to muscle it into tight turns if you are coming from a lighter bike. It feels amazingly nimble and agile if you are coming from a cruiser. I take very different cornering lines with this bike. You sit high, so you see over traffic. The aerodynamics are such that when riding in the rain, not a single drop will land anywhere on you, until you get a red light.

I cannot recommend the rear trunk accessory enough. The side bags are a bit awkward to use, but Honda makes a very good looking rear trunk which makes the bike completely functional. I can get 4 bags of groceries on the bike. (bread is squashed, eggs broken, whatever)

Best money I have ever spent. I would also consider the new 06/07 FJR if you want more sport , less touring. Someone mentioned the Triumph which one can sometimes find phenomenal deals on once in a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts