Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It fits, but if you are used to the quick handling of the 929, you will notice the 'roll' to become slower using such a large tire.
A lot of people actually go back to a 180 even. After 180mm, the bigger tires are 'mostly' for looks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jay is totally right about the turning thing. The 190 or 200 series will have a larger contact patch, though. I also heard a 200 series won't fit. Why would you want it anyway?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
cause some people think 'bigger is better', some like the look of the wider tyre and the bragging rights that go with having a 200

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run a 190/55 and think the bike handles great. If I ever get my 16.5' wheels I'll be runnning 195/xx tires. The aspect ratio is going to determine your turn in (aside from chasis geometry). I prefer the slightly larger contact patch of the 190 to the slightly lighter 180. I'm not familiar w/ the 200 tire you're talking about.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I always find it funny when you see guys at ridedays with every bolt on extra, tyre warmers and laptops etc..then they cant ride at all!. They're like mobile chicanes.

200mm tyres are like that:)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
aussie_929 : I always find it funny when you see guys at ridedays with every bolt on extra, tyre warmers and laptops etc..then they cant ride at all!. They're like mobile chicanes.

Do they let you time at your track days?
At the Island now, you are not allowed to time anyone, other wise you will be given a warning and then next time asked to leave, apparantly they had to bring this rule in for insurance reasons.
But after typing that, several people were seen with stop watches, but the rule was not enforced

·
Registered
593 Posts
ratter1 : Quote (aussie_929 @ June 09 2003, 7:06pm)I always find it funny when you see guys at ridedays with every bolt on extra, tyre warmers and laptops etc..then they cant ride at all!. They're like mobile chicanes.

Do they let you time at your track days?
At the Island now, you are not allowed to time anyone, other wise you will be given a warning and then next time asked to leave, apparantly they had to bring this rule in for insurance reasons.
But after typing that, several people were seen with stop watches, but the rule was not enforced
Haven't heard about the timing thing at Eastern Creek. Although they're getting stricter and stricter.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Holeshot : Quote (jaxon23 @ June 17 2003, 5:41am)i run a 200 BT-010...but all i do is stunt
Well, there you have it!!  Best reason of all for not running a 200.
If all you do is stunt then it's probably great.  I've got a friend that had a Gixxer750 (shrad to those in 'the know' ) with a 200 on it...probably why he'd never ride the twisties with me

·
Registered
33 Posts
i didnt think about the 200 being slightly heavier?? you would not want the wheel to be heavier because it has more inertia or momentum, i should say and so that affects the way the suspension keeps the tire on the ground. imagine if your wheel was real heavy, it would slap up after a bump and then the dampener would have to slow it down and spring it back to the ground. you would have to have diff dampener or spring set up to compensate. thats why sports cars have light wheels...so the suspension can control the wheel movement up and down better to keep the tire contacting pavement as much as possible. thats why struts wear out real quick on these suv's etc, whith huge wheels. the weight diff going from 190 to 200 is prob negligable, but still you would think the shock designed for specific wheel weight? Man, the 190 looks perfect on my blade and prob wont try the 200?

·
Registered
12 Posts
over all how much of a difference is the 190 from the 200 in terms of looks on the bike? does the 190 still give you a wide appearance on the bike or does it still look like a 180 is on the back? just wondering

·
Registered
40 Posts
okay hold on, you guys run 180's on your 929's? im running 190/50 just like the come with OEM just much better rubber.. I do a lot of track as well btw. whats better to run? 180 or 190?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I personally don't think its necessary to change what the Honda tech teams decided was the right size for the Fireblade. I stick with 195/50 on my 954......sure the turn in isn't as quick, but lets face it.....these things handle great for a litre bike! I prefer to have the extra traction while exiting turns. 185/55 is for torqueless 600's ;-) Just kidding.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am running 190/55 on the rear. No issues, turns great at the track and on the street.

I have had 200/55, 180/55 and a 190/50 on the bike. I really can't see that much of a difference, so I am sticking with a 190 rear tire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've run 180/5, 190/55, and 200/60 on mine.

The 200/60 required a chain that was 2 links longer to get enough room for tire warmer to fit inside of swingarm.
I didn't like the handling of the bike with the 200 either. whether it was the added weight from thr larger tire carcass, or the longer wheelbase from moving the axle back, the bike simply turned in slower with the 200.

I am now back to racing on the 190/55.

I had zero complaints about the 180/55 either, except that it was harder to find scrubs to race on,LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts